Dual mikuni's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Dual mikuni\'s

Does anybody on here run the dual mikuni's (kit form)? If so how well do they perform, how do they run without being modified? Someone was selling this setup with manifold and filters for like 5 bills. Just wondering if this would be worth it? If I got this setup I think I would run it with sumo two head and a swift bottom end, would this put out fairly good power?

Thanks, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 12:13 AM

Re: Dual mikuni\'s

this topic has been brought up a few times in the past... i think i even brought it up a year or two ago... hate to say it... but you might want to do a search.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yes I did search ALOT and probably read every thread there was under: dual carbs,dual mikuni,dual siderafts,siderafts,mikuni, and a couple others. I was just looking for more info, input on this deal I could get. Ya I read your thread(s) also. Whatever.....

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:27 AM

I had a set on one of the Samurai's I owned for a while and the dual Mikuni's kick A$$ at mid to high rpm's. The daily drivability went down, but they do awesome in the sand and the mud........they love wide open throttle!!!
They are well worth $500.

Sean DeVinney
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Great carbs! They'll open your engine up a LOT! Zoomy4 had a set on a stock 1.6 -8V and they screamed - more than enough power. On a built 1.3 I bet they'd give even more HP. The only problem I see with them is that they sit low. The carb manifold comes straight off the engine rather than up (hence the name "side draft"). So, if you play in the water a lot you'll need to fabricate an airbox for them. Glenn Wakefield used to run them 'til he sucked water and hydroed his engine. He custom made an air box after that. You might want to contact him and see if he'll share some info with you about what needs to be done to keep water out. I had a set but regretably sold them before I had a chance to play with them. I also think that Mikunni isn't making these carbs anymore so parts might be hard to find but I'm not 100% sure about that. $500.00 is about the going rate for used Mikunnis when they come up for sale. If you're curious about them get 'em and if you don't like the way they perform you could always get your $$ back. Heck, they might even go for more on eBay. You know how people are over there...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's. I don't get why the drivability would go down (gas mileage)?? Seems like more power would help for DD purposes. Besides Glen @ Rocky Road, has anybody else made up a custom airbox/snorkle system, any write ups on it? I have heard contrasting opinions, some say right out of the box they perform great, some also say they could not get them to perform that well until they took um to a shop and had um worked with. Would a vw specializing shop be the best place to take um? I think I am gonna get them tho. I needed a new carb anyways...might as well spend 100 or so more and get dual carbs [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!! I think if I get them I wanna run um with the sumo two head and built gti block. That setup should scream huh?

Scott
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 03:21 PM

dual carbs are going to be a lot more then 100 bucks. i spent almost 800 bucks on my last setup of dual 48's. it was on a different motor then a suzuki that was completely setup for racing and could still be driven on the street. i have also used duals on several volkswagens i have owned as some chevy motors running either dual carbs or a six pack. It is just my opinion... dual carbs are neat but I think it would be more cost effective for you to upgrade to a 1.6. Sometimes dual carbs can be a pain in the arse and unless you like to tune often I would just use a single carb or convert to fuel injection.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

If you had read my post correctly I said "I might as well spend 100 or so MORE and get dual carbs. Yes I am aware that I would have to pay more than 100 dollars. That is why I would be paying 500 dolars. Why not upgrade to the 1.6? Well they can't handle the higher r's. Plus I can get these dual mikuni's that run good for like 450, and I got a line on a sumo 2 head with 600 miles on it for 400 dollars (no core charge), then all I need is a gti short block and I would be set. I would just sell my head (with cam) and block I have now to finance a lower mileage gti short block. I don't want to worry about the rev's on the 1.6, besides the built 1.3 would come pretty close to 1.6 power.

Scott
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 04:06 PM

ooooooorrr.. you can get the vw motor adapter plate and use a G60 [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

sorry about the misunderstanding on the cost portion... I thought about doing this with the sami i owned... i am looking into buyng another sami. but i wont be going either route with the engine. I intend to use a 1.9 turbo diesel and tuning it out. using the G60 would be nice but you have to keep up on the supercharger because they can blow apart if not kept up. other then that they are a great motor. hmmm... what would it be like to attach a G60 on a sami motor? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

That would indeed be sweet, but I have searched on that idea, and haven't really found anything. If you find some info on it let me know.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode