E-Z locker vs. Lockright - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

E-Z locker vs. Lockright

Hallo,

which is the way to go on lockers for a sami... i remember RRO are praising the Lockrights, but a local 4x4 mechanic (who didn't seem overly competent) said that the e-z comes more complete and brings the "planetary gears"(?) ... and therefore is the way to go...

is this true? any opinions???

thanks
Alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E-Z locker vs. Lockright

Here is my experience.....I broke 2 LockRites in 2 weeks...both professionally installed.....changed the third member, and the next one last about a year, then had all the teeth chewed up, and was engaging/disengaging whenever it wanted. I replaced it with a Detriot EZ Locker. It has been "more positive" than any of the Lockrites I had. It has been in for about 3 or more years without a problem. Again this is just my experience. They are both similar, but the Detriot seems better executed. I'd go with a Detriot if I had to buy another. Hope this helps.

Andy Feingold
88 Samurai, moderately modified
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E-Z locker vs. Lockright

There are no planetary gears in either locker.

Andy's experiences are quite unfortunate. Our experience on the trail has been one of seeing MANY more failures of Detroits than Lockrights. On a wholesale level, the Detroit can cost $40 less than the Lockright. So its very easy to buy the cheaper Detroit and sell them for the same cost as the Lockright and pocket more money. Not something we wish to do though. If money was the #1 goal, we'd be selling Detroits left and right for much less than the Lockrights.

The Lockright has a far better warranty policy and a far longer and better track record than the Detroit. Examine the latest fiasco/failure from Detroit, the Gearless locker for an example of poor product testing before release. Guys in Jeeps were grenading these things left and right. I personally have never seen a Lockright failure that wasn't a simple spring failure and very easy to fix. The Detroits are made from softer material and more likely to be an actual broken locker fixture when trouble does strike.

Again, its unfortunate Andy had such troubles. Sounds like Lockright stood behind their product and replaced them. With Lockright its usually a no questions asked procedure. We have not seen an equal type of response from Detroit.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode