Tough Truck Competition...Wish me Luck! - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: Tough Truck Competition...Wish me Luck!

WOW! What a weekend! Where should I begin.....
I entered two competitions on Saturday, one at 12 noon and then the second at 7pm. The first races at noon were OK, but the guys that build the course got lazy and did not put the sand dune jump on the course so the race ended up being a strait sand drag......just dig up a tall sand hill then run straight to the finish line. I did OK, but only placed 6th. The Samurai seemed sluggish and I thought I was losing power somehow, but my rear brakes were locked up and I did not realize it till after the races.
The second race on Saturday (7pm) was an absolute blast! A bunch of us compleined that the track was lame and so they rebuilt it with a HUGE steep sand hill jump 50 feet before the finish line. To say the least, there was MUCH carnage. Several trucks and jeeps snapped dana 44 axles in half....even a few that were trussed, one dana 60 was snapped as well, and even the professional stadium racing trucks that drove down from New Jersey for the competition broke all four of their vehicles (these guys Ford Trucks and Early Bronco's were built to race and jump!!). The first race was against a Jeep CJ-7 with a stroked small block (383 I think) and left him in the dust at the second hill jumping about 30 foot in distance, but shearing off my passengers side motor mount. I ratchet strapped the motor up and went to the next round. The second race was with a full size Ford with a 460 in it and I smoked him as well, but broke the drivers side motor mount and the motor dropped down on top of the axle and ripped off two radiator hoses. We stole a radiator hose and hose clamp off of one of the cars left on the side of the course for the Monster Trucks to run over and repaired the hoses, then ratchet strapped up the drivers side motor mount .....now I oficially had a freee floating motor held in by two ratchet straps. The third race was against a CJ-5 that had a 560 Cadillac Big-Block in it (He beat me last year in the same event). I stomped the gas and dug up the hill....he beat me over the first hill then I was catching up to him at the second hill and passed him in the air as I went over the second jump. I have no idea how fast I was going, but I a set a new track record of 57 feet, jumping so far I landed at the finish line and beat him. All he said after the race was "I cannot believe you passed me in the air!". Well I beat him, but upon landing the ratchet straps held up, but the motor still moved around in the engine bay enough to bend the clutch cable bracket so badly the clutch was barely engaged and I almost did not make it back to the pit area. I adjusted the clutch out as far as I could, but it slipped so badly I barely moved. The last race I stomped the gas, but could barely dig up over the hill. The Sammy was definately out of comission now so I went to the pits very slowly and rigged the clutch up so I could drive it back home.....45 minutes on the highway (no I did not trailer it since my truck is still getting painted). I made it home and fixed the motor mounts and other miscelaneous problems then headed back for the last competition on Sunday, but evidentally the block was fatigued from the steel motor mount breaking off, because the passengers side where the steel mount was bolted on broke out and I lost all of my oil and my engine grenaded itself. I heard it going, but tried to get off the highway and got stuck on the side of the road. So I never made it to the last event and I now have the below pictures to show for it.

The front end of the Samurai was a little bent as well.....and I had to drive back home on it!...Remind anyone of driving back to camp at the 2002 ZookiMelt??

I was so aggravated after getting towed home I went ahead and pulled the motor this afternoon and I would have put another back in, but I dod not have another Centerforce clutch....my last clutch was disentegrated!

Sami Davis - What does legal mean? lol!

Sidetracker - I land on all fours when I jump so i don't need a cage....Not really, I just did not have time to do a cage yet...I only had 3 days to build it!

Zippy - Tim did kick some butt the last few years in some of these type of events! I won FIRST PLACE two years in a row at this event (2001 and 2002) and I plan on going to a few more....I love jumping and am qute the adrenaline junky!

Any Q's?

Sean (Zuk Killer!) DeVinney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1100233-16vfrontend.jpg (38.2 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Now we need the video glad you made it through and giving the zuk status some more heads up [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Veteran

glad to hear that you kicked some but. now you can put the V6 in [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and really get some air [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]. That is some nice camber you have dialed into the front end [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img], does it help you turn any better..lol [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sean [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 10:15 PM

So does BillyBob want the busted block for the old tub/ pipe buggy hes going to build ?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I just spoke to Billy Bob and he cannot pick up the Zuk for a while and the wife want the back yard cleaned up NOW!
Guess she's going to the crusher!

Sean
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I have a 20 MB video file of the Tough Truck event I can E-mail anyone that wants to see it. You will need a high speed connection and you will need to save the file on your computer which takes about 10 minutes. If anyone out there has the capability to post it on the web so it is accessible to everyone please let me know. My webspace will not allow it. It's a killer video clip of my black Zuk smoking a JEEP CJ-5 with a 560 Cubic Inch BIG BLOCK....600HP!!

Sean DeVinney
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:56 PM

Sean,
I can host the video if you'd like. I sent you an email earlier with infoz to upload it to my webserver. let me know if you need help.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

WOW Sean.... sounds like a whole lotta fun... I never ceases to amaze me how well these little trucks do off-road!!! Maybe now we'll get a little more respect from those big boys. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keep it up Sean!!

L8R [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Anyone that wants to watch the video clip can go to:

ftp://geo-services.net/doug.clause/race

go here, right click on file and copy to folder

then save it to desktop

takes about 10 minutes....but it's worth it!

It is an "avi" file and it plays on Windows Media Player

Let me know if it works for you guys.

Sean DeVinney
[email protected]
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few teaser pic's:

Sorry they are so blurry. These are stills captured of the video camera.

Sean

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode