Cheap lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Cheap lift

I noticed the springs on a sami are the same width as CJ front springs, could I use one medium length leaf from a cj front pack to gain any lift on a sami?

i have 4 front CJ spring packs Im not using...

also would a slight shackle lift and my homemade ad a leafs make room for 235 tires? would I be able to stand the gearing?

thanks!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cheap lift

A friend of mine put 31" tires on his sami after his "spoa" lift and lost fith gear on the hiway but it was still drivable and wheelable!! Now he has the GRS2 transfer case which I beleive brought his gearing back ta stock.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 09:23 PM

check out this site, this guy put cj front springs at all 4 corners in a spring under configuration, running 31's.
http://members.tripod.com/~bugsbunny874/suzuki1.html

trying to make it clickable, if it dont work have to do the old fashion way, cut/paste......here goes
http://members.tripod.com/~bugsbunny874/suzuki1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 09:32 PM
Old Hand

I'm using "custom" springs.

The front: Main leaf, 2" add-a-leaf, rear leaf, cj leaf

The rear: Main leaf, 2" add-a-leaf, rear leaf, cj leaf

I'm using 2" longer shackles. Total lift is over 3".
The flex is pretty good. Makes room for 31's. I'm running stock gears for now. 5th gear doesn't get used much. 31's and stock gears is do-able but re-gearing needs to be done at some point.

just my $.02

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Jbird
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm planning to use the CJ springs as well, but with a twist. I want them mainly for the extra length, which will help improve articulation.

I'm going to use the rear Sami main leaf mixed with a front CJ pack (probably a seven leaf pack)("more thinner" leaves are better than "less thicker"). I will then use a font CJ pack in the rear of the Sam.

Before I do that though (don't have the springs yet), I'm going to build either 2" longer than stock or 3" longer than stock shackles, and drop the spring hangers by 2" with steel plates bolted or welded to the sides of the spring mounts. This will give me either 2" of lift with the 2" shackles, or 2.5" of lift with the 3" shackles. I haven't decided yet. I guess what would help is if I knew how much the CJ springs would lift the Sam.

I am also possibly getting an SJ 410 t-case with the 12% reduction, that will apperently bolt right into my '87 Samurai. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That should make 31s liveable until I get a gear change (Sidekick gears).

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be careful of the spring hanger drop lift method. In theory it seems like a good cheap way to get more lift. In practice though, we saw a Zuk on the trail with one of these who caved in his frame. The extra leverage from these taller spring mounts really trashed his system. Fortunate for him we had a welder on our Suzuki and he was able to get patched up. He's actually one of the editors here at ORC for the Zuk page. But he'll say the same thing.... don't do the spring hanger drop. You'll end up "paying" in the end for sure. Perhaps with a tweaked & damaged frame.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

wow, for once Im lucjy then!!

the transfercase we are using is from a sj410, so that address the gear issues I had!

I hadnt planned on using the whole CJ pack, just a few leaves, maybe 1.5 2 inches of lift just ebough to clear 235/75 R15, so I can move to a LT tire instead of a passenger car tire..

but Glenn has me afraid now, I was planning to drop the spring mounts on my CJ in the near future!

thanks for the info guys!!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm still going to look into the spring mount extensions.......<font color=red>thanks to Glenn</font color=red>, I'll be looking at it a little more closely, and will take his comments into great consideration.

I'm only planning on using 31" tires, and I am a slow poke rock crawler, not a "drive it like you stole it" kinda guy. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'll look to brace the outboard spring mounts somehow.

I'm sure it's not as much of a concern for a CJ/YJ, as long as the frame is in good condition. At least the Jeep frames look more beefy to me, and I've seen this kind of lift on Jeeps before.

If I tweak my Zuk frame, I can always swap the body onto a CJ5 frame![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (seen a Zuk body on a YJ frame once)

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do this, put some "engineering" into it. Box your spring hanger frame in, gusset the frame, just beef the system up. The stock frame wasn't designed for this kind of leverage. But that doesn't mean you cannot do a bit of welding and reinforce the frame and suspension components some to help out.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode