springs and geometry. URGENT!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

springs and geometry. URGENT!!

G'day,

I came home the other day and my fiance had surprised me with a set of 3" lift springs with a 2" longer than stock shackle kit, all of which had been already installed. It seem to drive kind of allright but it's definately not.

Do I need to add axle spacers at all? How do I need to fix the steering geometry (cheap but reliable solution needed)? Anything else I should consider now that she's done this to my truck...not that I mind I was going to do it anyway, but I don't want to drive it until I find out everything else she should've done.....

Thanks again
SKIP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: springs and geometry. URGENT!!

If you did not correct stearing that has to be done and castor shims are needed. You also need to get longer brake lines. Hope everthing works out.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Assuming the Sam is simular enough to a Jeep (I just bought my Sam), here's a few things to think about:

Brake line length
Shock length
Dropped pitman arm to correct steering geometry
Axle shims to correct pinion angles and caster degrees
Driveshaft length (spacers?)

All these things need to be taken into consideration......sorry I can't be specific about what to do, but like I said, I just bought my Zuk.

Good luck and have fun!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you have a good woman!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 07:28 AM
mike shannon

just pick up a droped steering arm dont put the shims in unless it is just to loose on the highway,a [z] link wont help the bump steer the arm will.it is going to feel a little different because you are now more top heavy.a god set of shocks will help a lot,seem like the doestech are real good for the sam.you should not have a problem with the drive shafts,but you better check your brake lines i just find some thing to drive it on to twist it up. you should not have to extend them much,i would just cut the factory mount an lower it about 2 in. this is what we do on the spoa an they do 24 in. on a fork lift. it should do just fine on yours. well, good woman better marry her quick before so other suzuki owner trys to take her from you.good luck mike

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Taller shackles do change your castor. Many guys drive with taller shackles and aren't bothered by the extra play in their steering system. With our 4"er kits we do include shims so that the ride and handling are nice and tight. If you find the loosey-goosey steering is bothering you, an easy fix is to go with some 3* steel shims for your front end. You won't have to worry about anything in back. The drivelines can handle the new pinion angle just fine.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode