Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   Still battling driveline shakes, looking for ideas (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/164083-still-battling-driveline-shakes-looking-ideas.html)

Zukinator 05-08-2003 10:08 PM

Still battling driveline shakes, looking for ideas

I've been battling some driveline vibrations since I bought my Samurai in '96. I have the 2nd gear shudder that others have mentioned but I don't know that I've heard of anyone solving it. I also have a 'heavier' shake at about 60-62 mph. Seems to mostly shake the trans./shifter.

What I've done:
New Engine
New Mounts (all)
New Rear D-Shaft (AAP Shaft)
New U-Joints in intermediate shaft
Replaced T-Case, arms, added poly bushings
New Tires - balance double checked

I am leaning toward the intermediate shaft as the culprit for both problems. There is more slack in this shaft where it slides into the trans. than any other shaft I've ever seen. If you were to push on it and not see the movement of the shaft that is inside the trans. you would think there was a bad u-joint. Any thoughts? Similarities? Worn shaft? Tranny problem? Not much left to replace [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Sarge 05-08-2003 10:30 PM

Re: Still battling driveline shakes, looking for ideas

It may have worn out the rear bushing in the tailshaft , although they usually leak a lot of oil . Is the vibration just under a hard load ? If so, you may just have a problem with spring wrap , although you wouldn't see it at highway speed . Also , check the pinion angle and see if the u-joints run at equal angles on both ends .
Sarge

outlawmws 05-09-2003 09:48 AM

What sarge said. and here's another couple of thoughts.

How much lift are you running? do you have sufficient engagement of the DS splines? or are the loose?
(probably not loose on that new DS)

Are the shaft halves clocked correctly? Out of phase U-Joints will give you fits. The yokes should line up.
Better still, you should have alignment marks somewhere near the splines.

Zukinator 05-09-2003 09:48 PM

Well, mine is leaking oil out around the tailshaft - not a whole lot but it does leak. I kind of ruled out the bushing because it doesn't make any noise or feel rough (unless I'm just used to it) in any other gear. This would make sense though.

I only have 2" of lift, stock springs, and I'm certain my shafts are aligned and not over extended, so I'm thinking that its the bushing.

Thanks for the replies. It looks at though a trans. is in my future.