Shackles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Shackles

I want to put 2" shackles on my rig. I'm wondering if I will need to shim the axles or does the drivetrain geometry stay roughly the same. Also I have been told that a 2" skackle will provide 1" of lift, is this correct? If so, does anyone know why?

FRANKENZUKI,10' tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shackles

I don't know about the shims.

You get half of the extra shackle length in lift due to the fact that you are only lifting at one end of the spring. If you were to lift at both ends of the spring then you would get the full benefit of the longer shackle.

This is a lift idea that I am planning to implement in the coming weeks. It has it's draw backs in that you are more likely to hit your shackles and spring mounts on obsticles, but it can be cheap and relatively easy.

I plan on using possibly 2" longer than stock shackles, and then bolt on 2" longer than stock spring mount extensions at the other end of the spring. That will give me a true 2" lift without any change in caster or pinion angles.

Should be interesting......I might even go with 3" shackles, and a 2" extension for a 2.5" lift, and later slap on some CJ springs. I'll post up when I get around to doin' it.

For this weekend's run, I'm going to remove the bumpstops.......I've noticed that they limit articulation badly.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are several types on the market,most advertisments say 2" xtended shackles but actually only give about 1 1/2" of true lift I have been using the cheapo ones from jc whitney,48.00 a set and have thrashed mine to no end.I cant say at any point they've failed and there still going.As far as steering geometry and so forth,nothing should change,remove the stock ones and reinstall the new ones.There are some true 2" shackles out there.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:20 PM
JKing

I run a shackle lift of slightly over 2 inch longer than stock.
This gave me a little over 1 inch of lift. Yes. It is true that you get
half the actual lift of the extra shackle length as you're lifting one side
of the spring.

I made mine out of 1/2 inch thick cold rolled steel with a center brace and then
galvanized it to make it look good and weather-proof. I use grade 8.8
M12 metric bolts and nylock nuts. get some spring washers too.

You do not need to run any caster shims. I run mine without. You just
need to get use to driving the rig once you fit the shackle. I drive everywhere from slow to top speed with no problem. If you feel that steering
is too responsive, then add the shims, else it's ok.

Slightly better ride from stock setup too. also change shocks to
gabriel gas ryders

JKing
Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode