OT: fleming shuts us down - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

OT: fleming shuts us down

today on a rare day off for myself, i was awaken by a phone call from my supervisor. he gave me the message that fleming is shutting us down for good. fleming has been facing chapter 11 bankrupcy for a while now so it really is no big surprise that they are cutting their losses where ever they can. well now i am unemployed.

what kinda pisses me off is that on tuesday we had to go to two different manager meetings where corporate officials made the promise that our jobs were NOT in jepordy and that we would continue to run business as usual. i have learned in the past that corrupt companies are run by corrupt leaders. lies are nothing new to them. they (fleming) are still under investigation by the SEC for accounting fraud.

the good is i will have 6 months of unemployment checks coming in plus i can work for cash too. i will be checking into if i will be eligable for re-training. if so i will be going back to school again. i have a feeling this "change" will be to my own benefit.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 01:04 AM

Re: OT: fleming shuts us down

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am sure ya will land on your feet and prolly come out the better.

Good luck.

Tom
Lilsammy4x4 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 AM

Good luck and I agree the "change" will work out for your advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Way Outta Control

"i have a feeling this "change" will be to my own benefit."

It definately will be IF you make it so.

Right now - think of all the jobs you'd REALLY LOVE to do - keep it reasonable.
Then figure the steps you need to take to get it.
It takes work and proper planning, but it is possible.

When you love your work you become very successful at it, then the money's there too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 11:35 AM

Kinda in the same boat. They outsourced my group and gave me two weeks to find another job. No severance package! How's that from a multi-BILLION dollar company.
I would love to do this to my manager [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Wow, that kinda thing is happening all over. The company I work for filed chapter 11 a few months back. They said "everything will keep going on as usual" ... and so far, it has (except all our transactions are COD now). There are several offers to buy us out from other companies... I have no idea what that's gonna do to us. And nobody is giving any guarantees. I'm kinda up in the air right now. I should hopefully know more in a week or two when the company has to 'define' their goals or accept an offer.
Hmm... now what kinda work do I want to do now??? ......
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:38 PM

That BS the companys tell you about "everything will go on
as usual,don't worry about your job" is just to keep you
there untill they're ready to dispose of you.Don't wait
untill the last moment to search out new career
opportunities.
I'm seeing more and more manufacturing businesses in this
country going under and the work(jobs) being sent over
seas.Since Americas economy has always been heavily based
on industry it makes me wonder what the future holds.
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

well i am told i am employed until june 10th, unless we are bought by someone else which may or may not happen.

the upper midwest has been hit severely by the poor economy so there are not many jobs currently available locally so i am looking into retraining.

i look at it as an opportunity to be able to retrain under unemployment and get into a "trade". this is something i have wanted to do for a while now but i could not afford to. for retraining i would get up to two years of school with books and tuition paid for. i am just now starting to research the trade careers more in depth to see which ones are most appealing to me. i have an associate in science/business degree but i would like to actually have a couple weekends off a year and possibly even a few holidays as well.

another upside to this is i will finally have plenty of time to go 'wheelin this summer! thanks for the encouragement.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

sami, no severance is being offered here either. the human resources guy they sent to give us a pep talk today told us he is getting the axe also!!

foriegn competition isn't harming fleming, it is themselves conducting unethical business and accounting fraud!

when the economy is strong and cash is flowing in, it is easier to cover up faulty accounting and phony income statements. when the economy goes south and cash flow is slowed, that is when problems start to show through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode