engine oil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:57 PM
JKing

engine oil

Have any of you heard of this company "Top" in california? I did not see any address printed on the box.
The name is also not clear. it's either "Top" or "Formula-1" or both "a large number 1 with the word
"formula-1" under the number and an oval logo "top" in the middle. So far I see that they produce engine oil, engine oil treatment,
radiator coolant and etc.

I did not manage to find any info on the net about this company or its produce. They did not leave
any address or contact number.

They have various range of engine oil (normal, semi synthetic and fully synthetic) and comes in a 4 liter can.
I see that the fully synthetic oil comes only in a one US quart can. It comes in 20W/50 API SH+/SJ+ weight.

Any one used this before and what's the performance. It's sold cheap at about US$4 a quart.

Wonder if it's good. If it is, then it's really cheap being fully synthetic. US$16 for 4 quarts of synthetic

Pls respond

JKing
Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine oil

unless you offroad, 20w50 is a fuel and power robber. you just don't need it unless you are pulling very heavy loads, and need the film thickness. that stuff doesn't move on start up and causes unnecessary wear at that time. if you do off road then it's probably the way to go.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran 20w/50 for a while but when the temperature drops, the motor shakes like crazy when started and the thickness of the oil robs all the power like already noted. I also got talked into trying fully synthetic oil and it was the worst mistake I ever made. It almost ruined my engine. If you start using synthetic in a new engine it's ok, but when you use it in an old broken in motor the stuff finds every possible weak point and your engine will leak- almost guaranteed. Mine started leaking out the the distributor/head junction, out of the front seals and from the oil pan. I switched back to conventional oil and it stopped leaking. I use Castrol 10w/30 in winter and 10w/40 in summer for added heat protection here in the desert. HTH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:10 PM
JKing

Hi guys!

Thanks for your reply. I live in Malaysia where temperatures hover
between 28-31 degrees celcius so there should be no problem. The oil
does not gel up or thicken as the temperature is always about the same.

I do agree getting better starting and slightly better fuel consumption
by using 10w30 oil but I also think that once our zuki engine heats up
to normal working temp., the 10w30 oil would be equivalent to running a
straight viscosity oil of 30.

about the brand "top" heard about it?

I should not have any leak problem as you have. I just rebuilt my engine.

JKing
Malaysia
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have said in previous posts that 20W50 is a power robber/gas consumer oil. Isn't 20W50 engineered for higher rpm motors (at least the label says that)? When I turn 4K rpm's to run down the hwy every day @ 70mph, I consider that high rpm's. I have actually noticed a decrease in oil consumption (as copared to 10W40 or 10W30) and no difference in gas consumption. My '89 sidekick owners manual has 20W50 in its list of recommended oils to use in temperatures above freezing. The weather here in east Texas is humid and warm nearly year round. I'm not contradicting anyone, just giving my two cents....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey aggie. here's the story to go with that assessment. my first new car was an 82 dodge colt, made by mitsubishi. optional was the 1600 engine, i had the 1400, at 73 hp. twin stick transmission gave two final drive ratios. on a 4 speed, i had 8 choices, with 2 reverse's to choose from. neat. it's not like you drove it like an 8 spd, but it was cool to have the extra gears to play with. if you were immature, you could put it in first gear, power, as opposed to economy, and set the parking brake. you could light up the front tires for days if you wanted to, and it would drag the back wheels slowly forward. but i wasn't immature......anyway, i used live in windsor, across from detroit, before i moved to toronto. i would drive up to the family cottage on the weekends in the summer, on friday night, late. i would commonly run it at 140kmph, around 87 mph, for several hours to get there. my top speed was just over 150 kmph, or around 95 mph. because of the constant high speed travel, i tried 20w50. i was also checking my economy on every tank, as i tinkered with the tuning to get the best i could out of it. no computer, staged 2 barrel carb. with 10w40 in there, i would get around 37 mp imperial gallon at around 110 kmph. with 20w50, it dropped to around 32. passing power sucked, and top speed, probably the best indicator, dropped to around 82 mph, and it took awhile to get there. it was very noticeable. i really wanted a greater film thickness in the oil, but not at such a high price. i wrote a letter to quaker state, asking if it was ok to mix grades. i told my story. an engineer wrote back. they said it is fine to mix grades, but that they did not expect that i would notice any reduction in ecomomy and power output. B S! obviously this guy had never tested the stuff in this situation. now mind you, the oil pressure this engine produced was very high. i had added my own oil pressure guage, and with 10w40 i had around 60 psi at startup cold. with 20w50 i got around 100 psi, both in the summer. at high speed on the highway with 20w50 it ran high 70's psi. so. i decided to use a blend. 1 litre of 20w50, and the other 3 were 10w40. power and economy came back. and i still felt better that i was adding just a bit more protection. lots of words, but a worthwhile story. where you live, i'd personally probably go with the half and half mix in the summer for straight highway use, but maybe 3/4 20w50 for off road use. just my opinion of course. i hope this story helps you to choose the best grade for your situation. best of luck neighbour!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 08:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Paul for the info. I may play around w/ mixing different grades and see if performance gets better. It can't hurt, since I am very satisfied w/ how the eng runs w/ straight 20W50. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode