New Samurai dude with questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Samurai dude with questions

Hi all-
After building more Jeep vehicles than you can shake a stick at I am looking for a Samurai to build. My Jeep friends think I am having a nervous breakdown or something but recently spent some time behind the wheel of a friends and have to say I am intrigued. I keep telling them I need something to drive while I am working on my existing Jeeps ('54 CJ3B, 77 Cherokee Chief, and 87 Grand Wagoneer).
I am driving out tomorrow to look at an 88 Samurai convertable. It has 68K on the clicker and looks like some minor rust. The top is only a year old but the interior looks like it has been through a grinder. I will post better details tomorrow. Luckily I am taking a long time Sammy owner and friend with me .

My first concern is the total lack of balls of this vehicle. These are my immediate plans:
1) complete tune-up
2) Calmini header and custom 2" exhaust without cat (no emmisions in my area)
3) Some form of new carb (Weber, Pony, ect) --any help here would be appreciated
4) MSD 6A for extra spark along with a good coil

anything I missed???

Later I will mess with lift, tires and a locker in the rear.

Any advice would be appreciated.....email me direct at [email protected] or leave message here

Thanks
Zipper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Samurai dude with questions

I wouldn't waste money trying to beef the stock engine.

Try asking about different swaps.....I don't know a lot about them, but the Swift swaps are almost a direct bolt in. Then there is the Sidekick engines, Toyota, 4.3 Chev, VW and a few others.

I've heard the Webers are crap for off-road. The Pony has to be gotten from up here in the Great White North. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:47 PM
SRN

Yeah, they dont have much guts, on road that is ;-) But who needs to go fast anyway?
As for what your planning to do...
Tune ups are always good ( I should probably do one on mine!). Id go with a Thorley Header. Just personnal preferance, but hey. The Calmini exhaust is pretty good, but my suggesting is to hack off the crome tip. It just gets in the way while your wheeling.
My Dad's got a Waeber on his Sami. Its good on-road, but the stock one has proved better off-road. Plus, you'll probably have to get new jets for your Weber depending on what altitude you live at.
Spark is good ;-)
Good luck! I hope you buy it!

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
Zukinet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:55 PM

Hmmm...

I just got mine (w/ 37k miles) and the engine is rather peppy... (fully stock)... as a matter of fact above 3.000 revs it pulls very nicely! So NO complaints from here. From 0-30 miles i hold up to nearly every average street-car.

Mine is injected and here in chile we run them on 95 oct. fuel. Could this make some difference??? Or is it the weight advantage of the soft-top version?

thanks
Alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 07:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats a good point Alfred

The Sammy I drove had 147,000 miles and the owner admitted it had lost alot of power. I may be overthinking the situation.

Guess I should drive this one and then worry about it.

BTW guys....does removing the cat and installing an exhaust make a great improvement???
On the same note....what exhaust do you recommend (actually muffler) so I dont sound like a lawnmower????:-)

Zip

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Avoid the pre-bent exhaust systems. We bought the one you mention and had to have it completely re-bent to fit the vehicle. It also doesn't point the exhaust down at the end which causes some bad fumage to be sucked back up inside the vehicle. The manufacturer knows this, but doesn't care. That header is also made from thin guage material and prone to heat warpage. We carry a special gasket especially for owners of those headers who very commonly have blowout problems.

Save yourself time, grief, and money by getting a quality header and system.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Glenn

I was planning on a custom system....I have a friend that does this.

Is it worth it to take the time and money for a 2" system???

Zip

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't sweat the interior-- you can just take all that garbage out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
If I were starting all over again, I'd buy a fuel-injected rig- would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Tim J
[email protected]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the Sammy I just looked at was a mess. I almost fell out of my Jeep when I saw it.

It ran great.....but was obviously abused all its life.

So the search continues. Thanks for all the great replys and advice.

Zipper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode