Home Welder ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Happy_Trails

Home Welder ????

What is a good little welder to buy ? I was just looking around ebay at all the welders for sale. I don't wanna spend alot and I don't want any huge machines. Just something small and inexpensive to use on projects( bumpers and so on ) and around the house. I'd like something that will give good penitration too. I kinda like the flux core ones just because you don't need a bottle. Anyone have one and how is it ?...any other good ones out there ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Home Welder ????

I purchased a wirefeed welder that also is gas-ready for just under $300 at Tractor Supply a year and a half ago. 125 amp 120VAC using a 20 amp AC circuit.

It works great for welding up bumpers and other items.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the lincoln Weld-Pak 100. Sounds like the one acker has. Just bought the gas conversion kit several months ago, but haven't hooked it up yet (have some sheetmetal work I need to do.)

Was easy to learn how to set it up and use. Haven't had any problems with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 03:49 PM
SilverZuk

I bought a HF - campbell hausfield (sp?) 90 amp wire feed with gas.

It's weak. You need at least a 125 or 135 amp welder if you want to fabricate anything.
Mine was a waste of $250. I still have to use a stick for anything major.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 04:27 PM

I would have to agree with SilverZuk.

Spend a little more and get a 220V MIG welder that can do it all from sheet metal to 1/4" thick bumpers. Miller and Lincoln are both good. I found a 220V Lincoln WeldPac155 on ebay years ago and its terrific.

I started with flux-core and thought it was the bomb until I tried gas shield. I use the same CO2 bottle for airing up off-road so it does double duty.

With CO2 and .035 wire, it will lay a nice bead in 3/16" steel with very little cleanup required - great for fabbing armor. In my limited welding experience, [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] for anything thicker than 1/8" inch you need more amps than a cheap 110V will do.

Paul

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I run a old lincoln stick 230v 250 amp and a 230v 175 amp wire mig with gas shield I would like to pick up a miller 135amp 115v for the trail..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Pooh-Bah

Take a look at this company, HTP America. I got great service from them, and I dealt directly with the owner, entirely through email, from my begining questions to my purchase. I also didnt get quick one line answers, he answered in full sentences, explaining everything I needed to know. Only thing is I dont think they have the prices on their site, I still might have my price list from last year that might give ya a ball park if ya wanted to know about 1.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Bought me a stick welder for 320, its AC and DC reverse and straight polarity, its 220 max AC and 160 max DC but with a higher duty cycle, If you have the time to get crafty with your welder, get the poor mans welder ( stick), I have used one for years, what I started on and will stick with it, all depends on your skills tho...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:35 PM

If you don't mind a stick, get one. They go in upwards of 200+ output and are cheap. But I hate them b/c I tend to do a lot of welding and chipping slag is a PITA! I have the Lincoln unit.
I had a 120V Lincoln WeldPak10 but hated it. Got a WeldPak15 instead that runs on 220V and it is WAY better. It is well worth the extra $$$ as you will be disappointed with any 120V welder. Believe me. It's funny b/c me and some buddies were talking about this the other day. Better to save up a few bucks and get the better welder than get a weaker one and regret it later. Also, get a bottle and go MIG. Way nicer and a lot easier to weld with if you don't have a lot of practice.

Cheers,
Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have used one for years, what I started on and will stick with it

[/ QUOTE ]

so how long is that in "years" 5 10 20 lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode