Missing link - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Happy_Trails

Missing link

I did do a search , but seems most are about running the longer/ jeep springs with a missing link set up.
Can you do a missing link set up with stock leafs ?
You see, I do "NOT" want more lift. ( I would if I could afford new axles and so on but I can't ) I'm running 31's w/SPOA and wanted some new shackles. Is also thinking of going with rears in front. Nuttin facy, just practical. If the missing links are not the way to go I guess just a good aftermarket shackle will do. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:47 PM
SilverZuk

Re: Missing link

I'm running the m-links and cj fronts on the rear.
Enourmous improvement of ride quality.
Longer springs = Better.
Why would you want to keep the stock springs?
Does the impact keep your kidney stones broken up everytime you hit a crack in the road?

The things you have to watch out for on the m-links is axle wrap and sway.
I tightened up my m-links with washers between the shackle and bushing to eliminate side-to-side slop.
They cause severe axle wrap, and you need a good quality spring to counter this or an anti-wrap bar. I bend a stock main leaf on the CJ packs usually every other outing.
Iíve got a good set of after market CJs, now. Iím going to put those one as soon as I finish bending the oneís on the rig now (one is already slightly bent). They always bend about 3-4 inches back from the front spring hanger.
If I had a choice, I would run YJ rears and m-links.

Avoid m-links on the front unless itís a trail only rig with a pan-hard bar. Iíve watched people cut the wheels and saw the whole front end shift side to side several inches before the wheels started to turn. Scary and Dangerous.

Lose the stock springs, unless they are OMEs or something.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Happy_Trails

OK, I'll try this again....... " I DO NOT WANT LIFT " ....if I go with CJ/YJ whatever they are springs that = lift...that is NOT what I want !!!!! It seems nobody makes a longer spring without the lift. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes you can run them in stock formation an good M/L has a built in bump stop. like breeze DLS or rat fangs>>>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 01:30 PM
GRW

You said "I do "NOT" want more lift..... Is also thinking of going with rears in front."
I am not sure how other peoples rears up front turned out.
But I ended up with OME 2" srings in the back to make it leval.
I know run YJ's in the back [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My 1st configuration was rears up front and YJ's in the rear and was sitting level
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Journeyman

Hi Alan -

In order to give you accurate information, understanding that you do NOT want more lift, I will do the best I can to help you. Rear springs up front by nature provides 2" of lift. They are also 3 1/2" longer than the original front springs. The 3 1/2" in extra length is what makes the Missing Link work properly as well as provide good ride quality. To make a Missing link work, it requires the use of a longer spring. The longer spring causes the front axle to be move forward - this is generally considered a GOOD thing. However, the frame is not flat - it droops downward at the front. Because the attachment point of the shackle is moved forward 3 1/2" and the frame droops downward, this combination creates lift as well as negative caster angle. Both of which are undesireable in YOUR circumstance - HOWEVER, in order to improve ride and achieve the same ride height you are after, I would recommend using the rear main leaf only - combining it with 3 of your current de-arched front leafs. This should give you a negatively arched spring pack which will work just fine. Incorporating a 3 degree shim (with the thick portion at the rear) - will create a combination which will positively affect your ride height and provide postive caster angle for good steering characteristics. I would also STRONGLY suggest using STEEL SLEEVED urethane bushings in the chassis as well as the springs. This keeps side loading to a minimum and maintains good handling characteristics - which is a CRITICAL step commonly overlooked and an unnecessary source of complaint regarding the use of Missing Links in the front.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:01 AM
Happy_Trails

WOW.....thanks for all that info.... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

So no matter what you do, somehow your going to get lift it seems.....oh well....not too mechanical so i may just go with new shackles and bushings. .....too bad someone doesn't make NOS springs [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 AM
dcbenj

hi alan,
brent does make some non link shackles that are minimal lift- i.e less than a inch- which shouldnt effect you. I have them on mine in SPOA config and run 31s with spacer on the front shaft and ext yoke on the rear with no problemos. And they are quite a bit beefier than stock. And the brushed alum looks pretty cool too!
just a thought,
dean
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Happy_Trails

Brent ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode