Land Cruiser axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Land Cruiser axles

A friend of mine has a 71 land cruiser and is thinking of selling/trading it off. He has an extra set of axle housings, axles, and gears [front and rear]. He thinks that it may need carrier bearings, other than that he claims they are fine. My question is, how much is too much for a set of cruiser axles? also, other than getting new leafs [2.5 inch], what other mods must be done to make this conversion/? anyone currently running these axles? anything i should look for before i go over there and make him an offer?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Re: Land Cruiser axles

Well, I paid $31 for my axles off Ebay. Did I get a good price? Probably not.

I had to replace the pinion bearings at both ends, plus swapping in disk brakes from a mini truck, and extra machining for the front inner axleshafts to fit. You are looking at a drum brake front? be prepared to buy everything needed for conversion to disks. You would not want to use these axles in SPUA, so you can run either stock 2 inch leaves, or whatever makes you happy.

The front end on a Cruiser is a real pain. The differential points at the ground in stock form, which means you have to turn the knuckles, to regain steering and driveshaft angles. Not too complicated of a process, but if you are not capable of fabrication, you may want to reconsider these. An article here illustrates how the knuckles are turned.

Good luck, its worth the effort if you choose to go through with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode