2 Wheel low - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

2 Wheel low

Ok, got 4.16s in, thought I might as well do the 2 wheel low fix while I was in there. I have to tell ya I have rebuilt a few of these t-cases, but that was just to put in new bearings. I never messed around with this 2 wheel low thing before. My question is: anyone figure out how to shift this setup?

I checked out Izook and this board at http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/samurai/samtips.htm they both show a great deal of information about how to do it, except one thing, "no 4 wheel low".

So is it by guess and by golly to find what gear you are in or what? I have a friend that has this set-up in his with GRSII and I don't think he knows to this day if he is in 2 or 4 wheel low for sure, until he realy needs it, then he shifts around until it locks in.

Anyone with this and knows for sure how to shift, pass it on, please.

DaveAZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2 Wheel low

Dave,
The method described on the ORC site you posted is nothing like what is in a GRS unit. It has a modified shift fork. I don't know of anyone personally who has tried the "ORC way" but I have a GRS II and also just installed a GRS H-Pattern fork into another t-case. The H-pattern is easy once you get the hang of it. If you are interested in the H-pattern, contact me directly & I can elaborate.

Regards,
Tim J [email protected]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:12 PM
monty

From what I gather there is two ways to do the two low convertion .
1> remove the ball and have a shift pattern like on orc pages
2> remove the ball and grind the forks to make the H shift pattern
I have installed a 4.16 gear set and removed the ball at the same time . To get to 4wd low nothing has changed , leaver down into 4wd across and forward to low . The only hard bit is shifting to two low because you have to move both forks . I will try and explain , once you know whats going on you can go where ever you like .
You have two forks one for 2wd/4wd and one for high/low . When you go from 2wd to 4wd you are moving the 2/4 fork and then ( standard ) when you come across the pattern you disengage the 2/4 fork and pick up on the h/l fork so when you move you move forward to low . All the two low mod does is allow you to move thw 2/4 fork to 2wd as you move the h/l fork to low . So start from scratch .
In 2wd high and we want 2wd low . move shifter to 4wd , moves 2/4 fork to 4wd . come across but not all the way ( this is the bit that needs feel ) We want to move both forks with the shifter , 2/4 to 2wd and h/l fork toward low . Now in 2wd netural , move the shifter across and you can select low or high as you have disengaged the 2/4 fork .
Reading this again I don't think it will help , sit down and play with it and once you follow it its easy to do and shifting alround is easy .
The dash light still indicates if I am in 4wd or two so then its just a matter of wher the shifter is in low or high , forward or back .
hope this does help some how
Monty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:38 PM
mike shannon

i was playing with a grs2 t case trying to figure it out the best way to lay it out. the H pattern with 2 wheel drive at the top left ,4 wheel drive at the bottom left,chose that option first. then go to the other side for your high and low range,pretty simple when you have it on the bench with the shifter out,hope it helps but the grs2 cases have the shifter rods machined for clearance

87,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r and the rx7 motor is at the shop hope to get it in soon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:04 PM

I have a GRS II with the 2W low option.The "H" pattern works fine once you've
got it memorized.The only problem I have with it is that when in the 2W low
setting the lever can flop out of position to the left and when in the 4W high
setting the lever can fall over to the right.This frequently happens when bouncing around off road.When I try to select another range a jam can result.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I followed the directions on the izook page, it seems real difficult at first while reading them, but when you get into your t-case you will understand. I have no problem shifting normally (2h, 4h, n, 4l), and no problems shifting into 2low (2h, 4h, 2n, 2l).
All I can say is that is is very confusing!!! I almost did not do it. Once you get it done you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with Rockcrawler. When I first read the ORC thingy it seemed like I could understand it but the more I read it the more confused I got (might have something to do with the Buds I swacked back before hand)

After the install, it took about a half an out of friggin' with it until I had the shifting thing down pat. As far as not knowing if your in 4 or 4 wheel, the light (if yours still works) will only come on if your in 4 wheel. And for the low gear, you'll know when your in it, either in 2 or 4 wheel.

Other than that, enjoy your new carwling proweness!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks for the reply from all of you. I installed the t-case in today, did a little playing around, I think I got it down how to get to the right gears (hi and low- 2 and frow)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another kinda cool little option if you have a split-H pattern like what we put into our tcases is our billet shifter knob with the 2-lo pattern on it. The shift pattern is machined in so you have an easy reference to what's going on. Plus the aluminum knob just plain looks cool too.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Great, now ya tell me, after I got the "S" knob from ya,,,
anyway, thanks for the 4.16s Glen, these should be a least anyone has in their Samurai! Your directions along with a Suzuki Service manual are a great help putting these gears in.

DaveAZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode