Rear Wheel Bearing EDIT: Part Number Retainer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 02:47 PM
BoOstedZooK

Rear Wheel Bearing EDIT: Part Number Retainer

The bearing I purchased doesnt look like the one removed. Is it installed in the proper direction? And are the collars a dealer only part? If so whats the OEM part number or what do they refer to the part as at the dealership?

If not does anyone have an aftermarket part number for it?

What a Joke! If the collar needs to be replaced why doesnt every bearing come with a collar? Unless the bearing in the picture is incorrect. Its a Federal-Mogul Brand bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1096463-!!wheelbearing1.jpg (27.4 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 02:48 PM
BoOstedZooK

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Install...

nother
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1096467-!!wheelbearing2.jpg (40.4 KB, 57 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 PM

I looked aroudn and just bought the complete kit from Roadless, and the 410 backing plates too!..

They sell the retainer seperate too..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 05:14 PM

i just bought the complete kit i couldnt get the bearing with the retainer locally and also found that the bearings with the intergrated spacer dont hold up as well as the ones with out it the spacer is like a washer and it looks like you may have the bearing on backwards the spacer should be towards the out side on those bearings it is the part that sticks out some
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:23 PM
BoOstedZooK

So the back side of that bearing should be completely flat, and the part with the rubber seal should be facing the backing plate? I'll see if a dealer has the retainer, the closest dealer is a 1 hour drive at least!

Thanks,
Ryan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You are just being screwed like everyone else, those bearings should be sold in sets with the retainer , not seperately . Since it's not a common part like a Chevy , they get lazy and don't package them up as a set for a specific application . I hate that , shows just how much these suppliers care . You can go locally to a bearing distributor and get them to find BCA or Timkens , a lot better quality . Use the Suzuki seals , they last a lot longer and fit better . Koyo's are actually on the low end of quality in the Japanese bearing market , could be the reason they don't last all that long under heavy tires/loads . The offset on the one you have goes to the outside , otherwise the axle will sit in too far in the side gears .
Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:02 AM

The bearing is porbably some basic sized bearing, Most places have no idea what a samurai is much less what you need to change a bearing on the rear axle.. if you went into a parts store and ordered a bearing then thats what you got, a bearing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 AM
BoOstedZooK

Alright thanks, hopefully i can get the bearing back off without ruining it. Then ill pack a lunch and make a road trip to the dealership [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

Thanks,
Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Rui

Just bought the same bearing here in Portugal in our local Suzuki dealer, they said they are always "improving parts". I installed the spacer facing retainer side, so that it would go further in. With this new bearing the retainer stays a bit out, go figure...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

O'Reilly Auto parts sell the retainers... if they have stores in Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode