Welding and Gasoline - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:42 PM
weirdwillie

Welding and Gasoline

When welding, at what distance between the arc and the gas tank should I consider draining/dropping the tank? I want to weld some diff caps on and was wondering how close is too close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: Welding and Gasoline

Since its below the tank and the slag will be falling mostly I wouldnt let it concern me, I welded on a bumper straight on the frame right behind the gas tank with an arc welder and it didnt even phase it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 01:35 PM

You certainly do not want to drain the tank as it is not the liqued that you have to worry about, but the fumes/vapor. My boss used to fill the tank with fuel and then "load" it with CO2 if he was going to arc any closer than 4 inches (the width of his fist). We would drop the tank if we were welding "over" the tank where hot debri could burn a soft line.

This was gasoline powered oil field equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 02:01 PM
SPAMurai

had a couch in the garage a few years ago when i was welding (when i lived in Cary, NC). sparks hit it and it caught fire... dragged it out into the driveway and let it burn. neighbors were quite entertained to say the least...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 PM
weirdwillie

Especially in CARY (= Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) ;-) Driving through Cary a year ago, I couldn't believe how manicured Cary is. I heard stories of people having to change the color of their child's playground canopy because it didn't match the decor of the neighborhood. Reminded me of Disneyland!

By-the-way, I am one of those relocated Yankees, but I live in Greensboro. Fortunately, I act like a Southerner (my accent gives me away) so I sort of fit in!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
had a couch in the garage a few years ago when i was welding (when i lived in Cary, NC).

[/ QUOTE ]

And how many letters about that couch in your garage had you received from the town of Cary? You are not allowed to have couches in your garage...couches are stricktly for living rooms, family rooms and bonus rooms. It says so in the towns restrictive covenants...

And make sure that their is only one vehicle in your driveway...

And that your house is painted Tan or Sand or Bland...

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
SPAMurai

it was all good. i lived in one of the oldest neighborhoods in cary (about 25 yrs old) and we had done a good job getting the house back into good shape after previous owners' neglect. we were all peaches with the neighbors for that and they never complained about anything we did (late parties, 2 unregistered vehicles, friends &amp; chicks coming &amp; going at all hours...)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 05:59 PM

What a freak show. I can't believe places like that actually exist. I thought they were just in the movies. Funny...do they also tell you what to think?
ANYWAY, back to the gas question. Just put a fan in the area blowing over your work area, assuming you aren't using MIG. Should be fine.

Cheers,
Steve
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Way Outta Control

The danger is the fumes - it could ignite from welding clear on the otherside of the garage!
Make sure there aren't any fumes leaking out anywhere, an old cracked hose could kill you.
Also a good idea to have someone standing by with a fire extiguisher at the ready - just in case the tank ignites and sprays burning gas on you. That way you'll live to tell us about it.

Did you know that fumes that can ignite are NOT always strong enough to smell?

Just last week I was tack welding an external cage in place - then was going to remove it for the final weld. As I was tacking it, sparks ignited the sheepskin seat cover - I had it covered with a welding blanket, but somehow sparks got to it anyway.
Had to replace the seat, cover, and seat belt.
DUH!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:30 PM

As long as your gas tank doesn't leak you should be fine. And to further more prevent an explosion fill the tank right full with gas.

My friend one time rinsed his tank out with water a couple of times cause he was going to braze the crack in it. Well after he rinsed it out he put the torch over the hole and I was outside and all I herd was BANG . I went inside and asked what happened but he couldn't hear me. He wasn't hurt, but he did get the dent out of the tank though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode