Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
bord

Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

I just put a 1.6 8 valve in my zuk. I had my header on order so I just hooked up the stock exhaust manifold to check the engine, leaks, timing, etc. I snugged up four of the nuts just to hold the manifold on since I wasn't going to be driving it any until I got my header. Well, I got my header and was going to bolt it on when I discover the lower hole closest to the firewall has a broken bolt snapped off in it. I guess when the salvage yard pulled it from the wrecked tracker they snapped it off [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Anyhow, now I need to know how to get it out. Isn't there a tool you can buy to do this?

Also, I went ahead and bolted my header on and it wasn't leaking so is it ok to drive it until I can get the broken bolt out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:09 PM
97TRAKIN

Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

The tool is called a screw/bolt extractor, you can pick one up at most auto/hardware/industrial supply store. As for driving with the missing bolt, I wouldn't do that over time the heat may cause your brand new header to warp and leak!

Broken bolts [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:53 PM

I knew eventually somehow they could break, always wondered if you were screwed out of an engine or what...sorry to hear about your loss, keep us posted on how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:18 PM

i have had to have broken head bolts extracted before. i was far too impatient so i just had the machine shop extract them for me. cost me a little over $30 each time. i would have wasted a rare afternoon off getting those suckers out so $30 was well worth it for me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 08:39 PM
bord

$30, was that with the engine in the vehicle or did you remove the head?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 PM

sorry i wasn't very clear. the engines were removed for build up and when i tried getting the head bolts out one snapped on each one. i took the engines to the machinist out of the vehical. i imagine a desent machinist could get your broken bolt extracted with out you having to take the head off because the area is accessable if you removed the exhaust manifold after you get there.

i just have had horrible luck using the various bolt extractors myself. i know some people are very good at it but i am not. for me it is hard to drill or extract a hardend bolt/stud that is surrounded by soft aluminum. maybe someone knows the proper way to do this effectively by themself and can shere their knowledge with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode