1.6 engine questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1.6 engine questions

My '87 Sami has 130K on it and the engine is starting to get a little ragged.
I want to upgrade to an 8 valve 1.6 from a salvage yard.
What year should it be?
Does it have to be Sidekick or will Tracker do?
What fabrication will I need to do?
Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:12 PM

Re: 1.6 engine questions

Good luck finding one in a salvage yard. I'm not sure of the year model engines that will work, but either a Sidekick or Tracker will work. Fabrication---the easiest way would be an adapter kit from one of the aftermarket vendors. Try Hawk-- 1-888-SAMURAI

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please answer.

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:30 AM
zukikid

i did a 1.6 l conv.on my sammy and its pretty strait forward swap .i would get a conv. kit if i were you ,saves time, $,and alot of headaches.if your in the right area you can get a rebuildable block pretty cheap(got mine for 150 bucks).
any 8 valve 1.6 l will do geo or sidekick ,mine was an 89 sidekick .i would also sudgest a new clutch kit and tranny rebuild while you have the engine out .
most kits come with one new motor mount ,adaptor plate and bolts 'n stuff. if yourlooking for higher compression than i would have the 1.3 l head rebuilt and use that on the 1600 block,it also savev you $ for not haveing to buy a elec.fuel pump.the one thing thats not bolt on is the tranny ,you have to drill in to it to match it to the 1.6 l block and adaptor plate.there are kits out there that you don't have to drill the tranny out and that would be the one i would have gone for due to the fact that its hard to exchange the core tranny for a rebuilt one when you drill the holes in it so it won't fit a 1.3l any more.there is stuff i prob.missed ,too much info to post.e-mail me at [email protected] if you have more ? zukikid
p.s. i don't remember the kit that is non drilling so surf around the diff
links on this board or izook.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:07 PM

The kit that is strictly bolt on is from TrailTough, www.trailtough.com. I used this kit. it works great. comes with adaptor plate,all new hardware, and a motor mount relocator. Make sure you get the motor mounts from the 1.6. I had to use one from my 1.3. It is not an exact match. 2 holes match up, but ht erear one doesn't just making the hole longer works though. also get the clutch cable bracket, you will need it too. The fuel pump is easy, just get a purolator electric pump. the low pressure one.$25 at pepboys. Unless your planning on FI . then you got a whole nother headache. don't forget all new hoses, belts.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]John Tucker 88.5 Samurai, SPOA, 1.6 ltr, Weber carb, Removable doors, Custom front bumper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

get a better pump than the Purolator, every once and a while it would stick and I would have to hit it with my lug wrench to free it up, finally relpaced it and that one died on me also, I went through both pumps in less than a year. I have a Carter pump from NAPA now and am having no problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode