Quick help with Pirelli Scorpion mud tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quick help with Pirelli Scorpion mud tires

Saw a sign at a local dealership advertising these tires for $69.00 for 31x10.50! Or $300.00 for all 4 mounted and balanced. Stopped in and inquired about them and found out one of the parts guys hit the wrong button and ordered 40 of these tires instead of 4! I can get them mounted and balanced for free from the shop that is working on my zuk. I really had my heart set on some tsl swampers but with the money I'm saving I can use it towards my t-case gears plus I would be able to afford a spare! I did a search all over the net and really couldn't find much info on them(like sidewall thickness ect) They look like a half decent tire and Pirelli isn't a no name brand. Considering I only get to wheel 1-2 times a month and my rig isn't a daily driver maybe I'm better off going with a cheaper tire? Anyone have any info or seen these used on the trail? I need to make a decision fast cause I'm sure they won't last long. Thanks for the help guys!

Matt

Here's a pic of the tread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 09:40 AM

Re: Quick help with Pirelli Scorpion mud tires

At that price if they were out here I would be buying a set. I would have to have them siped.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 09:47 AM

If I got a deal like that I would take it. Considering that my 27x9.5 SSR's cost me $998.00 CDN installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Frog

They look a lot like the Dunlop Mud Rovers I had...
At this price, go for it. Worst case, if you really h ate 'em, you can always sell 'em for nearly as much as you paid.... Not on this board though, [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

matt...at that price id jump on them...yes the swampers are nice but you can still wheel with those and i bet you will be impressed. they are probably 2 or 3 ply sidewall. thats what most brands are other then bfg's...i had run cooper stt's on my old f150 and they were a 2ply and i didnt have trouble with them....i just did my best to drive over stuff rather then against it.

J
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to the dealer this morning to take a look at them. They only had 8 tires left. They look like a pretty nice tire, deep tread and wide space between the lugs. So i went home talked to the wife who was against me getting tires in the first place. Gave her the ole' sweet talk and she said "well go get the dam tires already and quit bugging me"! LOL So I just got back from picking them up! 4 31" tires for $296.00 with the tax! Hey I figured for how much I get to go wheeling with having a family and all these tires will do fine. Like you guys said if I hate them that much I could probably get most my money back. Anyone have any suggestions on siping or cutting a new pattern on these tires? I have a friend with a groving iron and for the price of thses tires I'm willing to have them cut for better performance. Thanks for the help and support guys I'll let you know how they work when i get them on the trail.

Matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 01:35 PM

Around here there are a couple of tire dealers that sipe tires for $10 each.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 06:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

on the two center rows of lugs cut about 3 or 4 horizontal slits. you really dont want to remove material just make some slits....the siping really is only a benefit for wet traction on the road. it may make the tires a bit more prone to chunking in the tread depends on how soft the rubber is. im going to leave mine solid....for the type of stuff we do matt you probably wont have to sip them...and especially with the amount you drive it. if want to try it go ahead...but i would wait till after you wheel it once or twice that way you can see if it made any kind of difference it made...

J
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 09:03 AM

I highely recomend SIPING . It helps not only on wet roads but on ice snow slippery rocks ect. It helps quiet the tire a little as well. I had my 32 11/50 swampers siped at discount tire for $10 each. the machine dosen't realy remove any material it just cuts slits in the center lugs. (see att.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1094592-15F3-2-1(17-33).jpg (43.0 KB, 32 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:14 AM

the pic shows the older design - ne newer design of the pirelly scorpio tires allready have the SIPING....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode