2 LOW (YES I did a SEARCH 1st) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
GRW

2 LOW (YES I did a SEARCH 1st)

I have looked at the post's on the subject.
But who HAS what set-up, and what are the pro's & con's ?
Gary's from Petroworks 2wd low ?
RRO modified shift fork ?
lilzeus 2wd low mod ?
I sent an e-mail to lilzeus for more info.
Petroworks has theirs layed out.
RRO I have NO information, and have heard nothihng.
I would like to know who is running 2 low, wich one, and the things you like and dislike ? I prefer not to do the ball removal method. I want to be able to tell what gear I am in and were it is going next. I did a 2 low in my FJ40 when I did the V8 conv. and loved it. I would like to have it in my sami's. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:34 AM

Re: 2 LOW (YES I did a SEARCH 1st)

I'm running the PetroWorks setup. Had it in for three years now with no problems. I have never delt with lilzeus and RRO still uses pony express for shipping; they'r really slooooooow! As far as how I like it. Here in the southwestern deserts there are times when you need lo but not 4WD esp. with a locker. Thats when you can rub it in on the J**pers. The standare cry is, " Aw come on guys, can't you find a trail where I need 4WD." It also comes in handy for moving my trailer around the property.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
GRW

How is the sifting and the shift pattern ?
Is the shifting positive ?
Is the pattern the same every time ?
Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:20 AM

I am using Petrowork's modified shifting fork and the shifting pattern is, well, “funky”. There is a bit of fishing involved in getting it into the speed and configuration that you want. I am not saying that it is unworkable, but it does take some getting used too. Function is very good and I can't say I have any complaints.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I did the DYI just pull the middle detent ball from the shifters and your off and running it takes a little getting used to the new pattern but onc you know it. its not a problem I can generally do it on the fly. I see no cons
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:07 AM
graydiger

I have the petroworks hunt and find gearing and it is a bit of getting use to But it works, I'm hoping someone will start marketing the twin sticks for the transfer case (hint)

Don

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:27 AM

I Don't know why everyone complains about the shift pattern. With the PetroWorks setup it's an H pattern. Granted it does take some getting used to, but I've had no problems with it. If anyone needs the insert card with the shift pattern on it, I can scan mine and send it to them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Skip

Gary,
I have the Petroworks. Once you're used to it it's okay. It can be a little fishy at times, but it is better than just leaving the ball out. I've called RRO twice and been told their in stock on a Thursday when I knew I was going to SLC on business. The next Monday when I called to stop by and pick it up it was "yea we have them on the shelf, but they are all pre sold". So I haven't driven out there. Oh yea, I've taken my core shift forks with me through the airport each time. That's a thrill. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Now I'm going to see if I can do the twin stick or revers engineer something a little more solid. My son is a senior at UW in mechanical engineering and he's on an engineering team building a race car with full machine shop access
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I did the ball removal only one. I'm very happy! I wish it was lots quicker to get into 4x4 mode when the 2wd low shift pattern is in effect. Either way, that ball has to be removed (.)
I have had a fluke with my setup though. Sometimes, magicaly, when I am in 4wd low, it'll pop out and go into the 2wd low setup?! I then have to get out of the 2wd low pattern and get back into 4x4 mode. No idea, It's happened like 3 times in 20+ trail rides and lots of miles. I just changed to synthetic (calmini gears are broken in) gear oil, maybe that will help?
I can hit the 2wd low shift point every time, no problems.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 08:43 PM

if its twin you want i need to see how many is wanted there going to run about $150 yeah thats high but its all on bearings not the old shift balls real easy drop in unit are they really wanted????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode