Air FIlter on Carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air FIlter on Carb

Vehicle
1988 Suzuki Samurai

I would like to replace the existing air filter system with a custom one that would sit on top of the carb (round style). My question is this... Do the hoses that are on the original air box have to be moved to the new one that I am creating? What do they do? I notice that there are two of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Air FIlter on Carb

If you are talking about the two small rubber hoses, no those do not need to be replaced. You will want to plug the nipple on the intake manifold that one of them connects to. These are simply used for the thermostatic housing or whatever it is called that allows the carb to suck up hot air from the exhaust manifold on cold days when it needs warm air to start up and idle nice and smooth plus warm up quicker.
With an open filter you won't be using this. You should probably plumb the larger rubber hose into your filter though.
One thing I do want to add. I have tried both open and the stock intakes. I found I prefer the stock one, especially offroading. The open one gets real dirty real quick, while the stock one stays relativly clean after an offroad trip, and is less likely to suck up water or mud that splashes up into your engine compartent. Also my filter element was kinda small, and I felt like I lost a little torque down low in the rpm range and it was not made up anywhere else in the rpm range. So I stuck with the stock one, although results probably vary with different people.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The stock filter is suppose to flow a not as good as one setting on the carb but I don't know if that is true. Many people not using OEM carbs don't use OEM air filter for that reson. I like the air intake protection given by the OEM filter housing and would bypass the exhaust preheated air feature if planning on deep water. The exhaust preheated air is why I stay with stock air filter it cuts time for engine warm up 1/3 even in north florida summer. Without it the engine might never warm up during a cold winter. I would like to try a 4 cylinder montero round filter housing. With its long snout I could replace the long exhaust heat hose with a short one but might have a clearance problem.
If you are not using the vacume hoses plug them to eliminate vacume leak roblems. The breather hose still goes to the air filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 05:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

High flow air filters are over-rated, they are helpful on high output racing engines, but for something like the samurai you give up a lot of good things like the carb heat and good water/mud protection, for a little, hardly noticed, horsepower. It sounds louder so it seems like you got more power, I tried one but went back to stock after it would clog with mud every time I went wheeling and my carb iced up twice on the highway because I didnt have the carb heat. K&N makes a filter that fits in the stock housing, I'd give that a try, it would be a good compromise, the best of both worlds. That is just my opinion, alot of people dont like the stock setup. Good Luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:51 PM

There is a third vacuum line that also runs to the stock air cleaner setup. It connects to the bottom of the air intake case. It is the HIC or hot idle compensator. This piece helps to ensure optimum air/fuel mix during hot idle to maintain a stable idle speed. Also the lines for the PCV valve would have to be hooked up somehow. From personal experience I would stick with the stock setup. I ran an open air filter on a Weber for a while, it sounded fast but I really think the difference was minimal.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i too feel that the free flow air filter thing is over rated. the stock setup actually "pressurizes" the intake very slightly at speed due to it's closed nature and the snorkel to the grille. free flowing filters really only produce noticeable differences at very high speed. if you go for the k and n, be aware that consumer reports tested them a few years ago, and found that they reduce intake restriction, but let in fine dirt, just in case that is an issue with you. one other option, if you want more surface area for the air to get in, is go to the parts store, pick the stock round one off the shelf, and look for another one a little taller, but with the same diameter. it will lift the cover up of course, and you'll lose any "pressurization" of the air intake, you may have trouble with the bolt that holds the cover on, and you might hit the hood. but if that's what you're after, that's the cheapest way to go. just some goofy thoughts..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:46 AM
JKing

Hi!

I've got the K&N air filter and it works just fine. I don't have the problem of fine dust getting in. You
just need to make sure that the K&N filter if correctly and completely oiled (use K&N oil only) and if you have
sealing problems, you can use the K&N sealing grease to seal the joint between the filter element and the
filter's top and bottom plates. The filter i use is of and oval shape and the part number is something like
E-3321 or E-3221. The element is aproximately 4.0"W x 7.0"L x 1 3/4" H . It was actually meant for another
vehicle and I had to make the mounting hole large to fit the suzuki carb throat.

The part number that fits in the original housing is E-2553. I opted for the oval shaped one so it fits higher
above the engine as oppose to the original OEM fitment that fits below and has to travel a longer distance.

The one that fits above the carb is louder though.... easier on the engine. I don't have to down shift sooner
when compared to the oem type .

JKing
Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode