What Spring should I get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What Spring should I get?

I just got done with a SPOA and want more lift! I was looking at getting some 3" lifted springs from National Springs or Rancho Springs? I know that Rancho is a little bit more than Nationals but, what spring rides better and flexes better? I haven't heard much about OME springs, but any info would help. Has anyone had any problems with them loseing their "lift" in the spring over the years? (I don't think it would since the Zuki is so light.) I just want to get the best spring for the money. The military pay holds me back from getting any old spring and seeing for my self what I like.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Thanks for any info you all can provide.

Brian Conrad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 11:55 PM

Re: What Spring should I get?

I've heard Ranchos are the stiffest,OMEs are the softest riding and the best
quality,Nationals are a good all around spring.Ask Glenn at Rocky Road what the
best spring for your requirements would be.He sells all three brands and can
give you an unbiased opinion.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brian,
Exactly how much more lift do you need? What size tires are you going for?

Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:48 AM
Skip

I've had the 3" OME's for 4 years. No noticable sag and I like the ride real well. Others who have had the other brands have said my OME's are by far the smoothest.

Skip
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 04:50 PM

IMO the best spring for the money is 3" Nationals. The money you save versus the OME could be used to correct your steering because with a spring over and lifted springs you are gonna need it. Maybe the Higher Heights kit and a 3" pitman arm should correct it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to consider with the soft National and OME springs with a SPOA is the likelyhood of springwrap. I don't have any experience with these springs so I can tell you myself, but I recall someone have some 3 inch springs (I'm thinking that they were OME but not totally utterly positive) saying they experienced major spring wrap on their 3inch lift springs.
I don't know how much lift you need but I would lean toward the rancho leafs (flatter spring almost like stock, so less problems) or what about going with CJ front springs in the rear and moving your rear leaves up front. By adding and removing individual leaves you can fine tune the amount of lift.
Canyon State components makes a spring hangar that you bolt onto your stock hangar and lets you run the cj front springs on the rear, even has a built in spring hanger skid plate. You could move your rears up front simply by using a longer shackle get some missing link type shackles (yeah I still remember, military pay).
You can find CJ leaves for cheap sometimes. A guy offered me his front springs for 40 bucks after he upgraded to lifted springs. The Canyon State spring hanger is something like 90bucks. I'm not sure how much a M/L style front shacle setup would cost, but you could just use a longer shackle in the meantime if you can afford to get that. It will detract from you approach angle most likely because the springs will set a litte bit farther forward, but you can also fit bigger meats under there too.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:15 PM
Corey-88K5

Tim, its Brian Conrad, I'm on my friends comp. and didn't feel like logging out. I need to fit some 36" TSL's under the zuki. I can fit them now with the custom SPOA and I think 2" longer shackles,& 3" body lift. It will not rub on the finders but when I go to turn sharp it hits the springs and when at full drop it hits alittle bit on the finders. I just want to lift it up so I can articulate the sami with out it hitting on the finders. I plan on getting some Dana 44's so that will take care of it hitting the springs. Thanks for all you help.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
<font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode