Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Suzuki GEO All (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/)
-   -   Is there a way to tell if I have a bent frame?? (https://forums.off-road.com/suzuki-geo-all/163309-there-way-tell-if-i-have-bent-frame.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 05-01-2003 06:50 PM

Is there a way to tell if I have a bent frame??

Hey zukers,

Last year I bought a 88 zuke soft top for $500 and it needed a clutch. Then transfer case then front axels then lots of other stuff. It runs great now with the help I receive from this board. My samurai is eating the rear tires on the inside of the rear tires. I can look and see that the rear tires look like the top of the tires are closer than the bottem. I had someone follow me to look for tire hopping and the said that the zuk is tracking sideways down the street. So after all the $ I put into this now is it just junk?? what to do?? I don't want to make it just a rock crawler. any advice??? [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

rangerrick 05-01-2003 07:17 PM

Re: Is there a way to tell if I have a bent frame??

Get you a 6 pack,find a friend at a body shop and have him straighten the frame.RR

ka4yqi 05-01-2003 07:52 PM

Sounds like you have a rear axel housing bent or rear wheel bearings worn out real bad. Trying to follow a vehicle to see if it tracking right is not as easy as it sounds unless it is diamonded bad enough to almost measure it. Try running it thru sand or a wet spot on the parking lot and look at you tracks while driving straight. This will show you if it is tracking straight. Good luck with it.
Steve

Skip 05-01-2003 08:01 PM

Re: Is there a way to tell if I have a bent frame?

Straighten or replace the rear axle housing then have your budy follow you. It may just be that the housing is bent

outlawmws 05-01-2003 09:39 PM

This repeats some of what has been said. I believe you have 2 probs.

Bent axle housing (been airborne lately?) measure the tires top to top/bottom to bottom and side to side.
All dimensions should be equal. If not the housing is bent.

As far as the tracking, you most likely have sheered a spring centering bolt and the rear axle is no longer
square to the frame. I see this at least weekly just watching cars and trucks in traffic.

This last is only if the truck has been in a pretty major accident.

If the spring bolt is not sheered and one of the main leafs is not broke (the other common cause), You may
have a diamonded frame. This is where the truck has been tagged hard enough to make the frame
trapezoidal instead of rectangular. Measure it cross wise to common points to check.

You can still straighten most frames, its just a lot of work.

MrSurly 05-01-2003 09:54 PM

I second what Outlaw said. BTW, I've bent my rear housing too. And I did it when I caught some air! Small world, huh?