A little water protection for my radio - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

A little water protection for my radio

I recently went wheeling with the top off and hit a bit of mud, which ended up getting thrown on my CD radio.

Not wanting to let this to continue to happen, I went to a local boat shop called West Marine. I picked up a "Radio Splash Cover" made by Poly-Planar Inc.

The cover will work with a twin shaft radio or with a DIN sized radio. If you use the DIN size you will have to cut the tabs off for the twin stick radios.

Since the cover is intended for use in a Marine environment, the door is sealed with a foam-rubber gasket, the rear portion is sealed with a gasket as well, and stainless steel hardware is included. Although it protects the front of the radio from water intrusion, it does nothing for the rear of the radio if you happen to swamp your vehicle.

Since the cover is wider than the stock Tracker radio trim plate, you'll have to cut into the dash panel a bit. All that's required is some careful Dremel work and the cover will fit.

I put the cover in place, used a Sharpie to mark the dash...

About 10 minutes later I had this:

The cover has two detents where it will hold itself open...

The first...

...and second...

A couple more shots of it in place:

Since my radio came with a remote control, I can leave the cover closed and not worry about getting it muddy, even after a full days wheeling. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've used these before on my Jeeps, and they work extremely well. The cover locks closed pretty tight and can be a bear to open at times, but with the remote control feature it's not a concern.

There's still a bit of work to do, I'm going to get rid of the white housing and make it a nice black color. I also need to make a new mounting plate for the radio from some aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: A little water protection for my radio

howdy,
twin i find if you mount the face cover upside down it is easier to open and put your cd's in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 10:59 PM

Do they have something for behind the deck as well. I'm mostly worried about dust. The CD player I have now whenever I put cd's in they get scrathed from dirt in the slot and they somethimes get stuck because of all the dust build up in the deck. I've thought of getting something for the front of the deck but then thought about it and dust from dirt roads and sandpits will float up under the dash and seap into the deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Problem with enclosing the rear of the radio is heat.

You have to vent the radio. There are radio trays at West Marine, but with the limited space behind the dash and the size of the trays offered, you'd be better off just making a housing out of some thin aluminum and venting it.

Part of the reason I chose this model CD player was for the fact that the front panel folds over the front of the CD opening, helping prevent dust/dirt getting in that way.

Now if I get caught in the rain or end up in the mud again, the radio will be protected. (Georgia pollen is no joke, either1)

I couldn't get everything done today due to rain, but hopefully I can finish tomorrow.

As for scratching CDs, I put all my CDs on the computer and burn off the songs I like. I've been riding with the same disc in for 3 months now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have an older model you can use the 60mm ammo cans for the radio box and maybe shield the back part with scalloping. I agree on the cover and was looking at one today. It is a great idea. Burn the CD's if they get fried no biggie. my other thing is if you use the ammo can you can bolt it directly to the bar underneath the dash to help slow the process of your stereo beign ripped off. with that said I hope I don't kill this thread like the last 4 I have posted to. BTW I know you have a kick project twin so the ammo can is irrelevant to you but may be some use to others.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm wanting to say that I saw a Pioneer or JVC Marine CD player in a local boating supply store that was somewhat "sealed" in the rear. It claimed to be "Water Resistant" not water proof, but the guy said he'd splashed a good deal of water on his and it still worked. It also came stock with a waterproof rubber gasket on the front.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

they are actualy made by jensen and dont sound overly great...if you just want tunes....just a couple of speakers it would probably be fine....but for any high end audio forget it!

jc whitney sells them so does crutchfield
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 08:04 AM

That's the one thing I was thinking of was it getting hot. But then again it might not get that hot as I am not using the built in amp, I'm going to run a separate amp for all my speakers.

Right now I'm running a Dodge Neon CD/cassette Radio and last summer after it rained I went to push the top up to get the rain off the roof and when I did the front of the top came off and the water poored right into the stereo. This happened when it was playing and right after it happened I was like "It's still working" and then all of a sudden it stopped. So I pulled the deck out and tipped it up and literally poored water out of it. Put it back in and it works fine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:43 AM

its a 30 mm ammo can not vented at all made deeper than normal welded to dash and body with a lock been using it for a couple years now my stuff has no dust on it even though every thing else does i have made since this pix buttons on the door to controle the cd player functions the only real problem with making these is the gear shifter has to be bent slightly so that when in 1st 3rd and 5th it doesnt rub the boxit could be done as a bolt on setup as well with some work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode