Bias vs. Radial - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bias vs. Radial

Ok, I have only used Radial tires prior to this experience. I've had good luck with BFG and Goodyear MT's. They have never demonstrated any significantly bad road manners. Here is The problem. I recently got a set of Swampers, 32x9.50's, Bias construction. Everyone told me they would "flat spot" when they sat for awhile. Well, I didn't know "awhile" meant overnight! But, that I could have lived with. Around town they are fine, no real complaints, once they are round again. But I just took them onto the highway for the first time, and I was appalled. They are down right Dangerous above 55 mph. The car has become very Darty, and is swaying all over the road! Now, the previous tires were 31x10.50 Goodyear MT's, and none of this was any problem at all. ANY IDEAS???? Or do I just chuck the tires?????
Thanks,
Andy

Andy Feingold
88 Samurai, moderately modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bias vs. Radial

your tire pressure will have lots, perhaps everything to do with the constant correcting you need to do. you need to make sure the tires are inflated to the point where the tread is as flat and even on the road as possible. if your camber has changed with suspension modifications, that will make highway travel a problem. imagine that the wheels are sticking out at the top, more than they should. your vehicle weight is sitting on the outside edge of the tread. the slightest turn of the wheel, and that's where you go. if you inflate the tires a bit more, you get the weight closer to the centre of the tread. it's much more controllable at that point. either way, the wear is less even. try experimenting. i've read here about drawing a line of chalk across the tread to check for width of the contact patch. as for the bias ply, i would think you should be ok. try the inflation thing before you make any changes, and the very best of luck to you!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the response. But, the camber and suspension are exactly the same as they were when I was running the 31x10.50 radial tires. The only other thing that might help is the tire pressure, but I really didn't think 20lbs was too much. I think a little less, might put more tire on the road. But, if they are THAT sensitive to tire pressure, I am not sure I still want them. When I said they were Dangerous on the highway at 60-70mph, THAT IS NO EXAGERATION! Thanks for you input.

Andy Feingold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey got your response. try 30 or 35 psi, only as a test. i'm guessing 20 psi may be too little.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 10:26 PM
JKing

Just a thought....

why not just fill the tires to the max. permitted tire pressure(should be printed in the sidewall) and work your
way down to get optimal ride and road holding....

JKing
Malaysia
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 05:21 PM

I ran the exact same tire last year on my Samurai and I didn't have the high
speed problems you did.I'm running the Calmini 5" shackle reverse suspension
which gives a little more camber.What kind of suspension do you have?
Things you might want to check would be the suspension and steering for looseness(including wheel bearings),toe-in and the steering dampner(you should
have a heavy duty one).Those bias Swampers are heavy suckers and are hard to
balance properly,all this can aggravate problems you didn't know you had with
your previous smaller tires.
Good luck.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 05:32 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I agree, you probably have too little pressure, not too much. You may also have a balancing problem there. At any rate, don't expect these to ever smooth out as much as a radial. Poor road manners are the price you pay for tough, aggressive tires.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What pressure did you run?

Hey, what pressure did you run on the street? If you ran the same tires, what size rim? and how did they perform for you??
Thanks!

Andy Feingold
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:00 PM

Re: What pressure did you run?

I ran 26 PSI on the street and 6-8 on the trail.I had them mounted on 15x7
American white spoke wheels.These rims allowed the tires to rub on the front
springs.To get them balanced the tire shop had to load half the rim with weights.I didn't put to many miles on these tires but they did perform well on
rocks and in mud.
Since I discovered that I'd need custom backspaced rims to keep the tires off
the springs I decided to sell the wheel/tire combo to my Jeep buddy and start
over with 32 x 10.5 Swamper radials.These tires flex better under the light weight of the Samurai and they required much less weights to balance.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode