Hard shifting on a Cherry 92 Model - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Hard shifting on a Cherry 92 Model

I just bought a "cherry" and I mean "cherry" 92 model Samurai. This thing is so clean I dont know if
I will ever be able to off road it.......NOT ! ! ! Really this thing is like new...an old man had it and took
great care of it. I has 70K on it but it looks like 7K It is a 2WD but I am planning on changing it over
to a 4WD soon (already have all the parts) ONE PROBLEM ! ! ! The transmission on this baby is very
tight. Especially when it is cold. It is usually hard to get it into 1st gear (even after the trans is warm)
Any Ideas on this ? Could I be low on oil in the trans or have the wrong weight? Or are some of these
trans' really tight. I have a 87 off roader that shifts like a breeze. Any input would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 11:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hard shifting on a Cherry 92 Model

Wow, hard shifting? That really sucks. I can't think of any way you can fix it. In fact, that's a very dangerous condition and can result in instantaneous explosion of the vehicle that can mame or kill the driver and passengers.

Let me do you the favor and come take that off your hands. I wouldn't want to see you get hurt!

Really, I had the same prob after letting my rig sit for a li'l over a year. Drove it a couple of hundred and it was back to it's sloppy self. Check the fluids and drive it a bit before you get real worried. If the problems still exists, give me a call and I'll come take it. LOL

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 05:53 PM

Check the bolt that locates the shift lever in the tranny.They're notorious for
breaking and causing problems.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could be a throw out bearing or pilot bearing going out. Last owner might have used the clutch pedal for a foot rest. I would put in synthetic gear oil. Check clutch cable adjustment. No improvement then I would pull the transmission and check the pilot bearing and throwout bearing. Do a clutch job while it is apart regardless. The reason for thinking it is throw out bearing is problem getting in 1st gear while stoped.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my first guess is the clutch cable adjustment. my 89 kick had the same problem. there are 2 settings, and both must be done correctly. best of luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 02:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Click input really good do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode