Another Oil Consumption Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another Oil Consumption Question

Well from reading the previous post I can assume that it's a very bad thing that my 87 Samurai burns almost a full quart of oil between every other fill-up eh? It is a little weak on the freeway, but I always thought that it was just due to the sucky carb. It doesn't blow blue smoke at all... in fact it seems to be doing just fine. I've only had it for one year and I'm pretty sure that the previos owner(s) didn't baby it like I do. Heck...my radio got stolen right after I bought it and now sometimes I actually prefer to listen to the motor run, just so I can tell if something needs to be checked out on it. I love the little thing. Anyways I digress... it has about 140K miles on it, so oil consumption would be expected, but just not this much, I guess. Does this give me an excuse to start looking for a 1.6L instead of just a new carb? Give me some opinions here. Thanks.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 04:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Another Oil Consumption Question

Are you sure you don't have a major oil leak? That's an awful lot of oil burning not to be smoking like a mosquito truck. I bought one that was going through a lot of oil and I duct taped a 20 oz plastic coke bottle on the vent tube of the fuel pump. I drove it about 40 miles round trip and checked it when I got home and it had about 2 inches deep of oil in the bottle. It did not leak much at all when parked, but it was losing a lot while driving. I replaced the fuel pump and now it only leaks a little at the back of the motor around the distributor, as far as I can tell.

<font color=red>Brown 29</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brown: That little leak around the dist. is a simple O ring replacement. I ordered mine from the local dealer.

Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 01:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not positive but I don't think I'm leaking it. My jeep cherokee on the other hand does leak alot and it's underside is like an oil slick, whereas the underside of my Samurai is still fairly clean(still red dirt on it even). I actually feel OK about parking it in my father-in-law's driveway because it just doesn't seem to leak and I know that he won't beat me for dripping oil all over. Beats me where all this oil is going. I can still do seventy and seventy-five on the freeway, so the performance hasn't dropped out all that much. So I don't know what's going on inside the engine. I do know that the smoke coming out of the tailpipe is clear..not blue,or black, or even steamy. I'll check the fuel pump though. My brothers 86 sammy had the same problem. Thanks

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode