Carb upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb upgrades

I'm looking for ideas and opinions on Carb upgrades. I've heard that the Weber gives out lots of power but is hard to tune and stalls alot. I had my eyes on a pony carb but I'm just kinda wary about either spending $300 dollars on it or sending money to strangers in Canada. Are there any other alternatives to my stock carb? Here are some of the ideas that I've seen psted on this BBS, but none of them gave good details.
Mitsubishi jets (1.6) in stock carb? Nissan forklift carb? Please respond with any input on any ideas. If you can also give me the amount of power increase and other estimates of performance I would really appreciate it.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 07:34 PM

Re: Carb upgrades

here's one that i'm going to try, Found in earlier posting, Cheap. easy to get parts for plus sounds like it works good

The Toyota/Aisan 28/28 is approximately the same total size carburetor. The stock samurai carb is a 26/30 Hitachi. The slightly
larger primary helps improve the low end torque of the little mill. It is a very simple install because they have the same bolt
pattern. You will need to port the stock samurai thermal gasket to match the larger 28mm venturi. Also there is a vacuum
channel that needs to be cut in the thermal spacer gasket. I used a mini die grinder (Ryobi, Craftsman, etc) to make very quick
work of it. Use the Toyota gasket for a pattern. I also installed my Aisan with the float bowl facing the rear. On extreme hills it will
still idle perfectly. The carb is from a 1978 Toyota Corolla with a 1.2L engine. The jetting is nearly perfect for altitudes of 600 plus
feet. I found that it ran a little better of idle at 4000 to 6000 feet. I haven't messed with the jetting but may increase the primary jet
one size larger. As for the over all performance, it is by far better off road when mounted as described. Having a hand choke is
also nice. It acts as a hand throttle up to 2400 RPM. The highway performance is unchanged. I get about 3mpg better now, but
my old carb was on its last leg. Also you can still use the stock air cleaner after removing the aligning tab and clearancing for the
manual choke. You will only use one vacuum line to the distributor and a vent hose to the charcoal canister. I added a line to my
egr valve for inspection purposes even though I have it blocked off. I have had mine on for a year and am very happy with its
performance.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This one is kind of expensive compared to the other options. You can put a dual Mikuni carburator in. Calmini sells it. Sometimes you can see it advertised in izook.com for a lot cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my book the Weber carb is a complete DOWNGRADE. Basically the worst performing carb ever made for a Zuk. You can instantly spot a Weber carb'd Zuk on the trail by its coughing and stalling and PO'd driver. Do youself a big favor and avoid it.

A solid factory replacement carb is only $299 from 4WD Hardware and will run circles around a Weber on any trail.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Guys. I sure appreciate the suggestions and help.The more options I have(especially cheap ones. Flight school is expensive), the better.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you know, you could get a used pony carb for around 50 bucks cdn at an auto wrecking yard, and a kit for around another 50 cdn. add a new float to do it right, maybe another 10 cdn. that would run around 70 bucks us, plus shipping and crap, maybe 100 us in your mailbox. of course, you'd have to deal with those shifty, untrustworthy canadians. i mean, the whole world knows that canadians are famous for ripping people off. best to avoid them.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 09:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Carb upgrades Go Paul Go

Being Canadian and having sent Pony carbs and kits to the USA, I don't see how that would make US from CANADA more likely to give YOU the shaft than the other 265 million United State citizens. I have served as supplier of these and other parts when no one else would help any of you out!!! On top of that the prices I sold them at where about less than half of what your native residence were selling them for! SOoo I know you probably didn't mean it the wait you wrote it.......

Mad Canadian ;-)
DannyL
[email protected]

Just remember for every mile on the
road of life there's two miles of ditch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Danny, is Quebec still part of Canada? Just kidding. Don't shoot me or anything, I'm also French-Canadian. Next time I'll pick on Paul, he's from Toronto.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, relax my northern friend I love ya all up there in fact
we should ignore all that silly country stuff just be one.
Thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 01:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whooooaaaa!!! Touchy-Touchy. Relax guys. You bet I didn't mean it like I said it. Actually no I did, but if you'll carefully read my post agin you'll see that I said nothing about Canadians trying to rip people off or that they are evil or anything of the sort. I just said that I'm kinda wary about sending money to "strangers in Canada". It's not that you're Canadian.. it's that I don't know you. I wouldn't send anybody in any state or province , money without knowing them first. I actually have alot of Canadian friends. Actually, they're Quebecois.. (I don't know which way to look at it...that Canada doesn't want to claim Quebec or Quebec doesn't want to claim Canada. I won't get into that discussion though. I usually just try to avoid talking about it because It doesn't bother me either way and then I end up offending both the Canadians and the Quebecois) but I did live up there for a while and really rather enjoyed it. So I'm definitely not a Canadian hater or something. I just don't know you all that well. But I'll tell you what... If I get the chance to get back up there soon, I'll drive down to Toronto, Paul, and you and I can have lunch together and we'll talk Zukis together. Sorry that I offended you guys, but I don't dislike canadians and I really appreciate your advice and know-how!! Thanks. Now let's get back to the important stuff... How to make our suzukis unstoppable!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode