This could be the dumbest question youve ever heard but.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This could be the dumbest question youve ever heard but....

Ok here it goes, I got a samurai in September and Ive been bitten pretty bad. You all know what i am referring too, the fact that I drool over all of the aftermarket stuff on the internet every night. I havent done much but i do have some wild country tires and rancho shocks<---(unfortunetly 5000s) I guess its good that im young and have a strong back ive been told. Almost every spare dollar I muster up is going to go towards it. I am thinking about joining a local sammy club here in Yakima, WA. Anyways I thought I should tell you guys that because im sure you will be seeing many many more questions from me. I have quite a few friends with full size broncos and jeeps that laughed at me at first. Now they dont and im still basically stock. What im wondering is if you can bore over a 1.3? I know a bunch of bronco owners with 302s bored .030 or .050 over. Can it be done to a samurai engine? Just something i was pondering. Another question is who makes a good bikini top? I would like to find one that goes over the roll bar. Do they make one? I would like to eventually put in a full cage and take of that targa bar. I personally think they look better that way, I know thats what makes sammys different looking but its just a preference. Also how tough is it to install a missing link setup? I would like to get the bumper from rocky road with the mounts already there. Any responses to these questions would be appreciated.
Thanks All

Cody Dahl, (Kid Zuk)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:04 AM

Re: This could be the dumbest question youve ever heard but....

I've seen .020" and .040" oversize pistons available for the 1300cc motor.If your looking for a performance increase I don't think that this alone is worth
doing unless it's part of a complete rebuild.
Bestop and Kayline make quality bikini tops for Samurai's.Don't throw away the targa bar because some of the full tops use it as part of the mounting system.
In the summer I remove the targa and string my Bestop bikini over the Rocky Road
roll cage.When the weather start to cool down I replace the targa and mount the
front or both halves of my Bestop Sunsport.
You might want to consider just doing a SPOA conversion as a first economical step towards a missing link system,at least until you're ready to move to taller
tires.Other must have items are a rear locker and a GRSII t-case.
Have fun dude!

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 03:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got stuck with a stock Zuk not by choice...
However after some off road adventures with full intentions
to destroy and or bury this machine little Zuk taught me some
lessons number one I can do just about anything and still go
including 12 foot cliff jump to rocky river bed I did crush
in gas tank terminating sending unit as it gas gauge now
is always full or empty. I did knock off side mirrors on trees
in back the forty hung up on bushes. I did stick it nose in
ground plow some earth 75 deg and I drove it at 70 Mph
back to driveway park it did not hose it off. After two more
weeks of wild off roads me and this Zuk became one, I now
love this thing, as for after market stuff for this
machine I need none it's good as is, exception comfort.
This may be a dumb answer to your question...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 08:39 AM
SRN

Im in the same boat man. Im 17 and all my money goes to my Sami. Now Im just wating for my Tax return so I can buy a locker!!! I need it before Moab!!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!
As for your questions...
Over boaring your engine is fesible, but I would almost op to get a 1.6L out of a Sidekick/Tracker instead. You can probably pick one up for a good price. Plus its easier to do than overboaring.
Tops4Less sells them. Uh, im not sure who else, Im sure there are lots of people who do, you just need to look around (hey, I have no need for one! Ive got a factory hardtop! ;-) ) .
A missing link eh? Well, as I understand its not too difficult. But the person I would ask about that is Glenn Wakefeild of Rocky-Road Outfitters. Hes the man when it comes too Suzuki stuff.

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
Zukinet
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kid Zuk,
You will get the most bang for your buck by installing a 1.6L Suzuki engine. If your 1.3 is still running well, you can sell it.
The 2nd post is correct to bring gearing to your thoughts-- once you commit to larger tires, it is imperative that you re-gear!
I also would advise a spring-over alone first, that way you can enjoy your new-found capabilities & get some more experience 1st. I'd take a ride in a missing-link'ed Samurai before you buy a kit-- they are not for everyone.

Tim J

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well,
Most everyone answered your questions, I just wanted to add something about the bikinni top. I highly recomend the Kayline brand Bikinni top. That's the only one I'm aware of that actually goes over and past the rollbar a little bit. The best top stops at the rollbar and doesn't use those straps that go all the way back. I'm not sure about the tops for less brand. About the missing links, since you are short on money, it might be more economial to go straight to the spoa.with the missing link you have to buy longer springs plus the longer brake lines driveshaft spacers etc. just as you would have to with the spoa, except the added price of getting front CJ springs. SPOA will give you a little bit more ground clearance for your frame and body. If you have or can get a set of CJ front leaves for cheap it might be cheaper to do the missing link.
As for the ease of instalation for M/L's, pretty easy I would imagine, just switch springs and shackles, and weld the fron bumpstops to the frame. You might want to get new front shock towers and longer shocks and brake lines while you are at it.good luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode