New Sammy owner - a few questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Sammy owner - a few questions

I just purchased an '87 Sammy the other day. I have a few questions that I have been wondering about..

I put a new muffler on tonight and was working on the exhaust system in general - trying to get rid of the leaks. I am not sure if it is stock or not, but the bolts that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold are like nothing I have seen before. They have a bolt that bottoms on the flange, and also have a "die spring" in there. This setup looked a lot like my leaking problem so I replaced the bolts with a normal bolt/lock washer. Is this a bad idea? is there a legitimate reason for the spring/bolt things that were on there?

I also have a rattle coming from the manifold. It sounds like the shroud, but from what I can tell the thing is attached just fine and has no reason to be rattling. Any ideas?

Thanks!
CAZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Sammy owner - a few questions

Everyone I have asked has toldme to keep those spring bolts on the flange. I can't remember all the exact reasons, but I think it was to hepl keep the stock manifold from cracking or keeping the stock manifold on the head better. It work kind of like a flex pipe and doesn't wear out or leak like one. As for the rattle. If it is coming from your heat sield on the manifold, it's kinda hard to help you there. For some reason Suzuki attached the ragged peice of tin with what seems like thirty unaccesable nuts and bolts. Maybe going back to the spring bolts will help out with the noise. If nothing else get a quality header and be done with it all
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that spring/bolt assembly is there for a reason. it allows the rear part of the exhaust system to flex independently of the front section. if you defeat the pupose of that flex joint, you will likely get a failure just ahead of that joint. happenned on my 89 sidekick several months after a muffler shop cut off a rotted flange on my old original cat, and welded the rear part of the system to it. no more flex. i looked at it and immediately thought it was a recipe for trouble later. sure enough, half a year later there was a fatigue crack just downwind from the new weld. it needs that flex. i bought the necessary parts and recreated the flex joint myself, and solved the problem. i have since replaced the cat for a new one. over the years i have learned that every hangar and bolt on that system, sidekick anyway, is essential, to keep other sections from falling apart later. i really hate to pay people to do crap work on my car. i guess that's part of why most of us here prefer to do the work ourselves. so most of us are not mechanics, and we can do a better job on our vehicles than certified mechanics, that we pay to do it right in the first place. what's up with that? keep the bolts, and make sure that the spring goes on the right side, such that the joint can flex. you don't want to tighten the connection down all the way. maybe leave a half inch of spring or so. the spring goes on the bolt first, then start to thread it into the hole. you may need a washer on top of the spring. replacement kits are available from parts stores. best of luck mate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a quick tip. Those springs are a pain in the @#$% to put back on. The problem lies in trying to compress the spring enough to get the bolts to thread in.(unless I did something wrong). Anyways after beating my ratchet on the ground like an ape, I used my noggen and came up wwith an eady solution to my dilema. I first compressed the spring with some vise grips. Then I used some looped some wire (actually it was old guitar strings) through the inside and then twist tied it to keep the spring compressed. I did this twice (opposite from each other) and the spring stayed compressed!! I didn't compress the springs all the way though. This will leave some room for the bolt to compress the spring so that the spring still does it's job. If you want you can clip the wires off once installed but I just left them there to help me out the next time I take them off. By the way, you have to use a tough wire that doesn't have too thick of a gauge. If it's too thick the bolt won't fit through the hole in the spring. Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Remember the first rule in the Mountain Man Handbook: It's a long way to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode