I Think I burned up my motor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I Think I burned up my motor

Hi, by now you guys know me as the guy that always needs help. So not to dissapoint...

I just put my head back on, with a regrind high-range cam and new stem seals. I got the valves adjusted, the marks on the engine timing all line up as far as I can see. And my weber just came back from the weber guys because I had been having problems with it. It was running lean under constant highway speeds, fine at idle and accel.

Well, I believe I got the distributer back in OK, lines up with the marks I made, and it points to cyl one when its supposed to.

So the car started right up, seemed to run fine, then died 30 secs later, and the headers were smoking slightly burning paint).

I checked everything again, removed my fuel press regulator and hooked the weber direct to the pump and started her up.
Started up fine, ran fine except the headers heat up really fast, and start smoking after 15-30 seconds, then I shut her off. Did that three times. The paint on them is turning white now.

Any ideas on what I got wrong, or what I need to do?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: problem with headers, head install , help

normal for the header paint to burn right off, it will then be covered with a nice light rust colored surface rust [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

No, it's more than that...

I checked the ignition timing, It was at 20+ before TDC. OUCH!

Fixed that, still burning off. Then I noticed the head and block were burning up too.

My thermostat was not opening up I think so I removed it.
Now the car will not idle right, and I adjusted the idle mix all the way up to get the air-fuel gauge to read all the way rich. Just to be safe.

I think I screwed my motor completely... Any ideas what else I should do?
And what timing should I be running with a mid-range camshaft? And should the idle be all lopey?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

to the top please!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I Think I burned up my motor

Pull the valve cover cap and make sure it's getting oil up to the top . If not , the head gasket is upside down . That equals at least one toasted head . Also, check your plugs , and the jetting in that carb . Who did the work to it ?
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the valve cover before, and the whole assembly looked pretty well oiled. There is some oil in the antifreeze. and that milky film under the oil filler. I think it may have overheated and warped something. Or, the oil could be residual from pulling the head.

The carb was sent back to Weber in NY. Second time I sent it back to em for the same problem. I have an air-fuel gauge, and it was reading lean at constant highway speed, but not at idle or under accel. The first time it came back it was the same.

The valve lash is set, the ignition timing is set at 10 degrees, and The timimg marks line up. It is possible that it could be off a tooth, but it would not cause this.

Is it possible the 272 cam is doing this? The exhaust is making a very pronounced "thup, thup, thup..." I had to turn the mix screw out a lot to get it into the rich. How many turns out is normal? And the engine just does not sound right. Hard to explain it.

I am so frustrated, if the motor is blown I am going diesel or 1.6.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

First off , if you sent it to NY that's their same old shop, Redline doesn't recognize aftermarket mods on Zuks , so they have no idea how to jet for them . Sounds like it's real lean , you need to look at the plugs and see if that's what it is doing . As far as setting the lean best , make sure to do it while it's up to full temp , and no help from the speed screw . If the mix screw is out more than 1.5 turns the idle jet is too small . Also , note how many turns the speed screw takes to make idle from contact . That noise in the exhaust sounds more like a drip from the carb , what is the fuel pressure at idle ? It should never have more than 3psi , and a good steady flow or it will never set properly . Find out what jets are in it , and let me know what mods are done to the motor .
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 11:25 PM

Don't worry about the milky stuff. It's just when u let it run for a bit condasation builds up.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Well, Im pretty sure the thing is lean, my air-fuel gauge reads lean until the screw is out at least 4 or 5 turns. How can I tell what jets are in it? Are they those small brass rings with numbers I see in the fuel bowl?
I never measured fuel pressure, I just set one of those autozone regulators to .5 or 1.

The only mods I have are the weber, headers with 2.25 exhaust and the 272 degree cam from roadless gear.

My main concern are that I toasted the motor, at its hottest I spit ( I know, but it works) on the lower part of the block and it sizzled like it was exhaust. Don't think thats normal is it?

Alex
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Sarge,

Is the idle speed screw suppossed to be backed out to the point that it does not touch that metal part on the throttle? I turned it back till it was only a few threads showing, and the car was idling really slow. But the gauge read rich. I think the gauge may give false readings when the exhaust is too hot. When I blippped the throttle it did that sucking sound with the car almost dying then acclerated. I punched the throttle a few more times, and it backfired once. Is this possibly a tooth off on the cam timing? This is really frustrating. Ohh, and are the headers supposed to be burning hot after 5 seconds of running.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode