cheap spoa - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cheap spoa

what is the cheapest way to to a spoa, im not worried about bumpstops im not rock crawling, just in the mud. i sank my zuki earlier. the left side up to the tail gate was underwater. swallowed the little tires that are on the front

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 05:18 PM

Re: cheap spoa

The cheapest way would be to buy some GOOD purches and weld them on the top. Make sure there parallel to the stock ones. Then swap the left and right u-bolt plates. That will let you run stock shocks. You'll need either a "Z" link or some kind of steering linkage to clear the right spring and correct steering geometry. You'll also need some driveline spacers. Appx 1" I think. Including the purches,"Z"link,and spacers it shouldn't cost much over $200,not including welding. It wont give you any more travel unless you change shock location and use longer shocks but it will raise the sami appx 4.5" Make sure you use GOOD purches and that the person doing the welding knows what there doing. I also welding in short runs. It should take 4-6 beads per purch to keep from weakening the axle housing. It took me about a week to do mine but I dismantled the axles before welding. Can't say you have to but it made me fill better.

C-Ya.....................kh
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most trailer rental/suppliers have leaf perches for sale I just bought 4 for 10.25 for my next project.The drop pittman/z-link will probably be the most expensive parts.Check around I found a guy that welds real good but doesnt do it for a living he'll weld up all four with a 1/4" steel plate on the ends to weld to the existing perches for 20.00 an axle.great deal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok what about the brake lines
also what about the pitman arm
and is there anything i can do thats cheaper than a drive shaft extention

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will need to extend the brake lines,when i bought my 2 sammys they had a surplus of parts I didnt have to buy.You will need to get a drop pittman or z-link.I didnt and thrashed my sammy only having to replace the steering linkage once.But get a drop pittman,cost is about 85-95 dollars.there are several other ways to engineer something different none of which I encourage.There are aluminum spacers you can get for cheap through several sammy supliers for your driveshaft extensions.I didnt extend mine and destroyed several rearends.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 12:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as the brake lines are concerned, the front mounts can be cut off flush with the frame, use some 2"x1/8"x6" long strap weld to frame then weld mount back to strap. The metal line can be bent down easily, there's plenty of room. The rear line(s) can be done the same way. This is the cheapest way to do this.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont understand.why cut off the mounts for the brake lines?cant you just extend the lines and leave the mounting positions alone.mine are just extended is there something i dont know?should i change the stock setup.what will i gain?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 03:27 AM

When I first put longer front brake hoses on my Samurai I found they would rub
on the tires in some instances.I repositioned the mounts and used standard length hoses to solve the problem.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be very wary of the spring pads sold at trailer shops. They are cheap, but they don't have any side gusseting. You take a serious chance of them folding over sideways on the front of your vehicle while cornering. Very dangerous. Get some ConFerr perches and you won't be risking your life.

Driveshaft spacers are not required if you 'short-shock' your vehicle. When I say short shock I mean using the stock shocks by flipping your stock ubolt plates to the top. Why anyone would want to do an SPOA and short-shock their vehicle though is beyond me.

Really, the only other thing absolutely required for an SPOA outside of the spring pads are longer brake lines. You gotta have them. Stock length would be too short and dangerous. You'll find that you will want to do something with your steering, but it is not mandatory.

What we find with many of our customers is that they have bought Zuks with homebrew SPOA lifts on and have found them dangerous and very performance limiting. SOmetimes it cheaper in the long run to ante up for a decent kit than screw things up and try to fix them.

For the ultimate ghetto lift, we heard about a guy who beat the tops of his axles flat with a sledgehammer and that was his new spring perches. Obviously some folks can be really dumb....

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the guy wanted to do it cheap...also check out "rollerskates" post...thats another reason.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode