2wd low conversion ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2wd low conversion ??

Ok from everyones opinon on a front locker I need to add 2low to my tcase,
I've looked at the page in 4x4off-road.com and it says to just remove the little ball between the shift shafts? Is that right??? Any one did there own conversions?
What about the 'Sheet' I keep hearing about? do I have to cut that?
Already have 4 to 1 low and going to take the tcase apart anyhow to inspect and need to do this soon.
By the way anybody have good luck with any aftermarket BEEFED tcase arms?? I noticed mine are starting to bend.
Thanks

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2wd low conversion ??

Do NOT modify your sheet. There's basically two ways to do the 2low. You can do the quickie way which works fine and only requires removing that ball. I don't like these as much though because the shift pattern can be very confusing. The other way still requies removing the ball, but also requires some machining to the shift fork. I put together an article for an upcoming ASA Katana on the whole 2low thing which should help explain in alot more detail.

As for the tcase arms. Back in the old days (late 80's early 90's :^), old-timers like myself would have to carry extra tcase arms. It was just like a 12mm wrench. Dumb to travel without one. Then we started beefing up the tcase arms and I"ve never ever had one of the ones I've built twist up. Never! That would indicate they work pretty well. Traveling with gears but without reinforced arms is like driving without any tools. Bad idea. Eventually it'll catch up with you......

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm confused,if you remove the ball which is farely easy to get to and the shift pattern changes,do you still have 4 wheel drive low?I'd love to have 2 wheel drive low but not loose the other.What about leaving your front axles unlocked while in 4 wheel drive low allowing only the rear to catch,will this basically be 2low.Are there any long term problems associated with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Removing the ball gets you 2low, and it also keeps 4low. The confusing part is that you still have your standard J-shift pattern, but you also have the modified Jshift pattern on top of it. It is very confusing to know what gear you are in and find how to get back to 2high sometimes. Some guys like this shoft pattern though.

The other way which requires the machining of the shoft fork that I mentioned uses the much more user freindly split-H shift pattern. This is what we set the transfer cases up with when we send out rebuilt ones with the gear installed.

Either way, you do not lose 2high, 4wd hi, or 4wd lo. Its just that the one shift pattern makes it difficult to find those gears sometimes.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 04:12 PM
Old Hand

Zuk asked about leaving the front hubs unlocked and using 4-low so only the rear would catch. (You didn't reply to this part). I had the same question, because I have no idea if that will hurt anything. Is it ok, or a bad Idea?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your solution sounds great. I have been thinking about a twin stick solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode