PLEASE HELP! CLUNKY SOUND FROM FRONT END IN 4WD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PLEASE HELP! CLUNKY SOUND FROM FRONT END IN 4WD

well NJ finally got some of this white stuff I only seem to find in upstate NY. I put my 87 sammi in 4wd and it started clunking like there was a bad bearing in the the drivers side somewhere. When I put it back in 2wd the clunking stopped. Both hubs I locked, so anyone know what gives? THanks .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: PLEASE HELP! CLUNKY SOUND FROM FRONT END IN 4WD

I would advise doing some more investigating to try to pinpoint the noise.
Is the noise audible in 2WD & with either of the hubs locked?
Do you get the sound with the hubs Unlocked & t-case lever in 4x4?
No? How about with 4x4 & only One hub locked? Then unlock it & go lock the other?
If your sound occurs when a hub is locked, then you can jack that wheel off of the ground & study it further.
If the sound happens w/ the hubs unlocked & in 4WD, then the problem could be in the front differential area. Very hard to say what's going on at this point- ujoints are common problems, too.
Go do some detective work, & let us know what you find!

Regards,
Tim J

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: PLEASE HELP! CLUNKY SOUND FROM FRONT END IN 4WD

I'm not really experienced with driveline stuff, but does it make the sound with the hubs engaged but the tranny case in 2wd? And I assume there is no sound when it's unlocked and in 2wd?
My first suspicion would be your front driveshafts ujoint, but I'm far from being an expert with this stuff. If it is making the sound in 2wd also it maybe the wheel bearings. you can check those by jacking up the wheel and wiggling it. If the wheel does wiggle then you should replace the wheel bearings, and go ahead and do the kingpin and seals.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode