problems with zuki - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

problems with zuki

ok after it gets warm it dies, im not exactly sure what happens, but after about a mile or two it just dies. ok heres the other problem
my tranny is real noisy, ive driven other zuki's and theyve be a whole lot quiter. it almost sounds like theres a washer or something
in the bottom of it.
thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: problems with zuki

Could be a lot of things. As for the engine dying I would suspect carb. Either carb is reallly dirty and could use some cleaning or needs adjustment, or both. A lot of stock suzuki carbs can get grumpy as they get older. I'm also assuming it is carb'd, I have no knowledge of fuel injection systems on sammies.
Now for the tranny. Have you checked the fluid in the transmission? Drain it, check for metal particles in the oil. Hopefully none will show up. Refill it with the recomended weight gear oil(not sure what that is right now, don't have my sammy or green book with me). Should be quieter. If that fails maybe it's the bearings in tranny. I'm not to familiar with that prob either as it hasn't confronted my transmission yet. I believe there is a disntictive sound it will make if they are going out, and others on this list could help you better with that as I've never had a prob with my tranny to date and haven't needed to pull one apart.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 08:37 PM

A few years ago I had a noise in my transmisson that sounded very similar to yours. Just curious if your transmission shifter is loose. On my Samurai the locating bolt for the shifter broke off and fell into the transmission. I drove mine awhile before I decided to find the noise. I was very lucky it didn't mess up the tranny, needless to say the bolt was chewed up pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with what you said about the bolt, i found the reason it was gettin hot. it was a faulty thermostat (duh i should have changed it). the carb acts like it isnt gettin gas, i checked all the lines and i just put a new tank in. i have heard about probs with carbs. could it be the vac lines, i put bolts in lots of them just to plug them.
is the front drive shaft suppossed to spin while going down the road
thanks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2000, 08:44 PM

IMO if you are running a stock carb I would connect all of the vacuum lines. It would probably be a good idea to buy new vacuum hose to replace the original. Routing all new lines is not hard at all, especially if you have a factory service manual. Another part you may want to check is the vacuum advance to see if it is operating properly. How about the venturi tube for the stock carb. Petroworks and RRO both sell them. Hope this helps.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok its been runnin fine no stalling or bogging down
might of had trash in it, now i found a new prob
the transfer case is whineing any ideas?
let me know
thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Loud bearing noise is bad gearings. Could drive for years with noise or it could really fail distroying expensive gears tomorrow. Caused by age and not change gear oil expesially after break in. New bearings are sealed so it is less of a problem.

Glen's Rocky Road or Petro will sell rebuild kits. Great time to install reduction gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode