Tossing Weber Carb in Trash!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tossing Weber Carb in Trash!!

I recently purchased a carb/header kit from Calmini. This carb starts up excellent, the choke works perfectly, and it idles good too. I closed off the vent hole(s) as per the info I got from this site. It still sucks. When you rev it up, to about 4-5 grand, it starts to hesitate and sounds like the valves are floating. Then when you let it sit for a while, when you go to re-start, it's Flooded! It's on top of a freshly rebuilt .020 over engine...w/header, no cat, no smog stuff, straight pipe to a flow. Also running a elec. pump. What could be wrong with this darn thing ?? Any help from you guys would be great !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tossing Weber Carb in Trash!!

just wondering how did it run before you tried the vent hole fix?
I would also check the fuel pressure. I wouldn't run anything over 3psi.
Is your fuel pump cutting off when your engine stalls out, if not fuel can still be running into the carb.
Also check for vaccuum leaks around the base plate. The Weber doesn't seal very well, if there is a vaccuum leak around the baseplate make some new gaskets out of some thicker material. maybe even stack two gaskets and use plenty of sealant.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To check for vacume leaks get a propane torch that uses disposable gas cylinders. Unscrew the burner and install a rubber hose. Make shure you have good vetilation and no open flame. With the engine at idle crack the valve for a slight gas flow and direct propane gas at possable leak site. Engine will speed up a little if leak is drawing in propane fuel. Watch out for the moving belts and while doing this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It ran better before touching the carb, just stalled when your bouncing around off road. My FP is wired into the ignition. When its parked the pump is off. Mabey just the pressure in the lines. I am going to buy a regulater, dont have that yet. Also what about running a plastic float? Thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, I'm curious as to Exactly where you got the idea to completely block off the vent holes? I've heard of modifying them but never sealing them off.
The other post is correct about the fuel pressure (~2-3psi) & having a cutout on an ele. pump if your rig stalls. (& it will on Steep inclines with the carb you have)
The rest of your post is sounding like a timing issue.

LOL,
TJ

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its under the Samurai tech section under Weber Carbs. Seal them off, then drill thru to the vent tube.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure what a plastic float would do for your situation. The reason for the fuel pump cutoff is that if you stall out your pump keeps pumping as long as the key is in the on position, just a safety issue. I have to agree with the other guy, sounds like you have a timing prob. Is the vaccum advance line hooked up betwen your carb and dist? what is your timing set at?

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ported vacuum hooked up correctly to dist. No vacuum leaks what-so-ever. Everything is new. Timing is set to stock specs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode