Home Made Tow Bar Any one did this? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Home Made Tow Bar Any one did this?

I am wanting to build myself a tow bar to pull the Sammy to the trails. Any one ever built one to hook
up to where the SWAY bar used to go (most people take them off) OR how about building one that will
mount to the shackles. Next Question. How do Samurai's pull behind another vehicle? Do you lock the
steering wheel or not? Thanks Mark......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Home Made Tow Bar Any one did this?

You always want to unlock the steering wheel when flat towing. A cool thing about the Samurai (maybe Sidekick too) is that you can put the key in, turn it on, turn it back to the lock position and as long as you don't remove the key, the wheel will remain unlocked. This way you don't have to leave the car on and worry about the battery or anything else. Also, the manual says to tow the Samurai with the tcase in neutral and the tranny in 2nd gear. This has been argued over and over but I believe that is the correct way.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Home Made Tow Bar Any one did this?

Hi Mark,
I built a towbar for my bro-in-law's Samurai, and it's worked out really well. It attaches to the rig using Currie tow-shackles. He pulls it with the rear driveshaft out, since he had a rear ujoint grenade on him at 70 mph :-O
His V8 F150 has no problem pulling it, and his mud grips so far have not shown any signs of excessive wear. You might want to contact James Hiers- he's flat-towed his Sam for several years now.

Regards,
Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode