I'm making Sami jamboree trailers and need help from you suspension guys! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m making Sami jamboree trailers and need help from you suspension guys!

I'm in the process of turning the rear beds of some Sami wrecks into trailers. So far the process is easy, spin the rear axel over, reverse the bolts on the spring packs, and mount the springs over axle for lift. Cut the frame and WELD!

I could do do this by trial and error, but I figured you suspension guys might be able to add insight. I've heard that older springs (pre-88.5) are a little stiff, and that's the type of spring packs I'm using. Considering that there will be even less weight than if it was still a truck, should I remove a leaf to make it more compliant/less bouncy? If so, which one? I'm not planning on using shocks, as most small trailers don't have them. But shocks may keep it riding smooth.

I'll keep you abreast of the project's development. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I\'m making Sami jamboree trailers and need help from you suspension guys!

The differences in the pre-88.5 springpacks is minimal to nil. They added teflon spacers in 88.5, but you'd never know it. My 88.5 rode the same as my 87 Zuk. Just take a leaf of of the spring pack and ditch the overload leaf too.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take the overload and bottom spring off? Will that be enough if I have the trailer loaded with heavy gear? Right now it's SPOA by spinning the axle upside down and using the stock perches (trying to keep it cheap and simple). Would that pose any problems to the springs? I'm trying to increase articulation, fit 31's and keep this thing from being too bouncy, but not bust a spring doing it.

Timmy Time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you flip the axle over, how are you going to keep it lubed? And how are you going to check or change the oil? The drain plug will be on top. I think some cheap trailer spring hangers welded to the top of the axle will do good, it's only a trailer anyway. I know a guy that has these on his daily driver Zuk.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Articulation on a trail is almost an oxymoron. Articulation is the opposing feature of two axles when one is lifted and the other is not. You do want a soft ride for your trailer though and removing those leaf will do it for you. Your side to side flex will come from the hitch though. It is unlikely your springs will compress and expand like they do on your trail rig when a hitch is invlved.

For the hitch, I'd avoid a pintle hitch and a 2" ball. The 2" ball won't take the angles needed for the trail. I set my first trailer up with a pintle and it sucked. The thing banged back and forth over every rock. Construst a 1-piece type unit that alows side to side and up and down flex with a tight fit. No loose piece that can allow the trailer to slam back and forth. Its gets real old, real fast!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, how much are you charging for these? I may be interested.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you look at the pumpkin, you'll notice a raised bump where the drain plug is. Now go the the top and you'll find the same bump except no plug. We drilled and tapped the bump and installed the drain plug. We replaced the old drain hole with a brass nipple fitting, which will go to the diff breather tube. We cut the old diff breather and welded it off. Except for the fill plug in the pumpkin cap being a little higher, everything seems to be okay. Looks good too.

Timmy Time

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really don't know yet as we are in the design (read: experimental) phase. We just finished the frame and deciding in the hitch type. Currently I'm favoring a Pintel - Ball combination, while my partner want's a custom u-joint hitch.

Meanwhile, the bed in getting POR-15 and undercoating beneath. The bed interior will have a spray-on liner. The whole front of the bed (where the vehical is cut)will be diamond plate. Right now I'll be using a standard duster-type cover, but we are thinking of custom fiberglass or maybe a pop-up tent ala Back Country.

As for pricing, I'll let you know when we are done. We're thinking they shouldn't be priced more than $900 - $1000. When compared to the $2500 base sticker for the Back Country Trailer, it would be more affordable.(http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/T...rs/details.htm)

Hopefully I'll be bringing it with me on the drive out to Moab this year. That would be a fine debut, and a excellent place to see if it's worth it's salt. Only then would we consider selling one (or two, or three...)

Timmy Time

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the custom Ujoint hitch. I put a pintle on mine and was completely and thouroughly disappointed after thew fisrt trip out. Too much play, too much noise, too much headache.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I'm shying away from the pintle idea myself. U-joint seems the way as it gives up and down and side to side, but the off camber situation has us a little perplexed, like say the rig is tilted to the left and the trailer is tilted to the right. Right now we're thinkin' about a tube for the u-joint hitch that is inside of another tube (well greased of course). This would give unlimited camber flex, but I'm not sure that would be the best of things. Trial and error, trail and error! Thanx for the help

Timmy Time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode