Fender Flare removal ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2000, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Fender Flare removal ?

Just got back from some really cool trail riding today. I have just put on some 29.5" tall tires. I put on some
2" shackles to lift it up. I cut the front bumper mount and trimmed the back of the fenderwells to clear the
tires. Got back today with some cuts on my new tires "ouch" . I found the culprit (besides not having emough
lift) The seam where the inner fender flare mounts to the body is cutting the tires. I removed the outer fender
flares and checked it out. HERE is my ? I want to remove the inner fender flare, do some trimming and put
it back on. HOW DO I GET THE inner flare off? I saw a bolt or two (it was muddy) but it looked like it might
have some rivets or something holdin it on. Not ready for SPOA yet. just a little more clearing and I think
I will be alright . Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2000, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fender Flare removal ?

I think this is what most people just pound in with a big hammer.
And one Suggestion I would make, clean the area off first, make sure it's dry. Pound the seams down to the side, then put some rustoleum or something on them.
Only real way to remove them if I can remember correctly is to cut em out, if I'm thinking about the same thing you are.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2000, 11:45 PM
monty

Hello Mark
I am about to try and stick 30x9.5 tyres on my suki in a week or two . Got one put on the spare to see how well it goes and from first looks a bit of trimming , lose the bumper and they may make it . But it now does not sound like it . What size tyre did you get and on what size rim and offset etc .
My stock wheel makes the tyre rub on the springs at full turn only by a wisker so I was going to get the offset changed by 1/2 inch to 3.25 . But on the other hand 15x7 rims would be nice but may hit the outer guard seem I think you are talking about . Looks like I am going to have to lift it a bit , whats your opinion ?
Thanks Monty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I took my flares completely off and replaced them with Rocky Road wider flares, but in a trick removable manner. I should be done with the photo write-up soon, so you all can have a look. :-)

If you have the plastic flares, they come off pretty easy. I had the metal one's ('90 and later) which were best removed with an air chisel. The real problem with mounting your flares any higher will be those pesky steel lips that the flare mount to. Unfortunately, they ay spot welded to the body. But a few spot weld drill bits and take 'em off! If you live in an area where rust is a problem, expect to find a little (to a lot) of cancer growing behind them. Do the same with those girly plastic rocker flares. Next, grind down the remnants of the spot welds, fill any imperfections and paint to match. You'll need to paint as these lips were installed before they painted the truck at the factory.

If you'll be off-road only, forget putting flares on altogether. If you are running larger tires on the road, you have two options. First, move the steel lips up higher and weld them back on and mount the stock flares. If you are running wide sneakers, get a set of after-markets. I suggest Rocky Road's. Mine are easy to remove and replace (about 5-10 mins. total). Best part they cover everything really well on the road, and when I go wheelin', I pull 'em off and I have a nice clean, NARROW rig. Added benefit is that if I decide to kiss a tree or rock, or fall down and go boom, there will be one less part I'll have to buy and replace. And to top it off they look REAL SWEET!

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 08:47 AM
CSR

On a Samurai, the inner and outer fenders are spot-welded together. The seam that you're talking about is where they are joined. Cutting the seam out would seriously weaken the fender.... Heck, it'd probably just fall apart! Most people pound it flat with a Big hammer. Some of the guys out west, like Tim Hardy, are opening up their wheel wells and moving the flares up on the body and 1" or so. E-mail me privately and I can explain the procedure, major PITA though. This is Tim's rig, you can kinda see what I'm talking about. Well, on the rear anyway, the front has a bit too much scar tissue to see anything.

<font color=green>Happy Trails,</font color=green>
[email protected] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Hey Monty, My tires are the 235/75r 15 ;s they are the recaps from Iowa (See add in Off Road Mag)
I love the tires and they were cheap 190$ for 4 delivered UPS to KY. They told me they were 29.5 tall
I am running stock wheels and I love the tires. I cut off the bumper, trimmed the rear wells but missed
the upper wheel wells where the seam of the flares and fender meet. Guess I will get out the hammer
and go to work on it. I thought about cutting the flare off and remount it higher but It probably will weaken
the fender so I am gonna try the hammer first. Hope that helps. BTW if I opt to move my flares up
higher how big of a job is it to get them off ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode