What's your experience with lockers on snow/ice? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s your experience with lockers on snow/ice?

I'm installing a rear locker and I'm wondering what to expect when used on snowy or icy road. If you have a particular experience with lockers during inclement weather, particularly at HIGHWAY SPEEDS, please share it with me (and others). I know, quite intimately I may add, how easy a Sami can spin-out on a slick road when driving any faster that 30 MPH. Therefore, I'm trying to grasp exactly how careful I'll have to be when using my locked Sami during the New England snow season.

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s your experience with lockers on snow/ice?

I've had my Detroit EZ Locker in the rear for a few winters now. While we don't get weather as intensely bad as New England for long stretches of time, living at nearly 5000 feet here in Calif. is often close.

My drive home starts at about 800 feet, climbs to nearly 5000 in only 12 miles. In that distance it's not unusual to go from pouring rain to sleet to freezing rain to true snow. All while twisting and turning my way up the mountain.

The locker has not been a problem, it's been how I get home. :-)

The most important thing I can tell you is to READ THE MANUAL. All of the lockers I've seen come with one, and they have some good information and tips on how it works and how to drive it. That said, keep the speed down, do NOT accelerate rapidly coming out of turns and you should be OK.

Frankly, if I didn't have the locker in mine, I wouldn't be able to get up the driveway at all when I got home (been there, done that) 4WD or not.

---
Scott Gomez
Petroglyph Computing
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/suzuki/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode