diff breathers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

diff breathers

how should i go about making diff, t-case, and transmision breathers?
any advice would be appreciated...

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: diff breathers

I run all my gearbox breathers to a central line that runs all along the vehicle and terminates at the top of my snorkel. I used a combination of rubber fuel line and steel brake line for a pretty 'clean' system.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

i was kind of thinking along the same lines, but was hoping you could tell me a little more info, as in, how about how much line you used, and exactly what type you used (mainly because im not aware of the different kinds), where you ran the lines under the body, and where exactly the stock breathers are on the diffs, t-case, and tranny... and if you ran a central line, what did you use to connect the individual lines to the main line? and one other thing, about how much money will this cost me?

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Was article on installing differential breathers on this board but don't know if it is still around.

Sticking up from the differential housing at a angle you see a stubby cylinder. Pry that off. Removed the spring and disc of the
breather check valve inside of the tube left protruding from the differential. If you broke off the tube just tap and thread in a
hose nipple which is better because a smaller hose can be used. Your put a hose over the tube that's left and clamp it. Now you
just follow the brake lines up to the engine compartment securing it to the brake lines with wire ties. The top end of the hose
you cover with something to keep bugs and dirt out. Can get a proper cap from a junk jeep differential breather, vacuum line
breather or a sintered metal filter hydraulic breather. Stock jeeps have the rear diff breather hose terminating behind rear fender
well near gas cap and enthusiasts often extend it on up the roll cage. Your tubing for the rear diff breather can run forward along
the frame rail to join the frount diff breather line. I would include a capped tee for transmission and transfer case if using steel tube.
To install breather hoses for transmission and transfer case they must be removed so you might want to wait. You just install hose
nipples to replace existing breathers and run hose from there to frame teeing into breather hose for front diff.

Tubing can be used along frame instead of hose. It looks neater and is less likely to get snagged. I would not use flair style tube
fittings but the ones that use a sleeve that crimp on when fitting is tightened. They are much easier to use. Keep tube and hose
small 1/8 inch is as large as I would go. They only have to handle small volume of air as gear boxes heat and cool.

A good job will resemble a stock brake line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode