How do you take the stock fender flares off a Samurai? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you take the stock fender flares off a Samurai?

Hello, I got some new after market wide fender flares. What is involved when taking the stock fender flares off? I know that they have phillip head screws only when you look at the bottom of the stock fender flare. If you take the screws off and pull the stock flare out, is that how you do it? Or is it something more involved in that? Thank you for your reply

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do you take the stock fender flares off a Samurai?

Are your existing flaress plastic or metal? Do you live where rust is a problem? All of these things can impact the removal process.

I used an air chisel, due to rusted screws and the fact that I was adding wider flares. I removed the steel mounting lips too, as all these did was make more rust. I've got fiberglass flares now in a removable installation for when I want to get really extreme.

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How did you mount the flares to make them removable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was a little perplexing, but I thunk it over real hard and came up with a pretty trick solution. I took photos and will have a write-up soon that I hope to put on-line.

I installed the Rocky-Road 3" wider flares. In brief, Remove the pesky lips and grind down the spot welds, finish the wheel wells to match the rest of the body. Each flare is mounted to the body using 6 - 1/4"x1" stainless machine screws, 1" fender washers, lock washers and nuts. A stainless bolt need to be welded on down near the rocker for each flare. Add D/P rocker panels and now you can zip the fenders off in 5-10 mins. I figure I'll add it to the list if things I have to unbolt/unscrew every time I want to wheel.

I now have a big enuff flare to cover my sneakers (and they look sweet), and I can still have the nice clean sides when I'm off-road, as well as have one less part to buy if I fall down and go boom.

What make of flare do you have? Let me know...

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a thought, before you mount you new flares you may want to coat the with polyurethane. I have an 88.5 that I sprayed the flares, bumpers, interior to include the door panels, roll bar, nerf bars, and as soon as i can find one, a hard top. It holds up great. After I sprayed them I stood on one, I'm 250 lbs and it didn't break. Pretty cool stuff. If you want to find a dealer in your area just go to line-xcorp.com.

Sherp

It's a Samurai.... Get over it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode