87 sami timing question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 sami timing question

I bought and have been working on my 87 sammi for two weeks, It has never
had good power, The carb was all messed up so I rebuilt it , It helped the lowend but anything over 1/2 throttle it would fall on its face (sputter and miss.) Alot of things where screwed with on this rig(Bad Mech)I am a shadetree
mech with 20 years experiance and this was kicking my butt. I was convinced
the carb was bad as everone has problems with them, The secondary would never open,(If open manually it would rev up.) I pulled the timing belt cover this afternoon, and low and behold the cam timing appears to be off 180 degrees.
This is per the Haynes manual, (Ordering the suzi one this week.) According
to the book the timing mark should be up on both the crank and the cam @ TDC
for #1 cyl (distrib In the correct possition) the index mark for the cam is DOWN! So it would lead off with cyl #4 instead.
I need verification that the cam is off. Would someone who has done this
or has the Suzuki shop man please verify the position of the indexing marks?
Oh and I bought a new carb to the tune of $250.00 Joy..

Glenn
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 87 sami timing question

quickest way to see if she'll run better is to pull the distributer and change it 180 deg.if it runs normal you solved your problem easy to set everything back.be careful that you have a 8 valve distributer cap because the 16 valve will work but you have to change the plug wires around.either way if you play with it enough you will be able to tell.watch the plug from the distr. to the harness if it gets unplugged somehow your sammy wont turn over.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the distributor was 180 out, then you would be back firing like crazy.

If the timing mark on the crank is straight up pointing at the mark on the oil pump, and if the timing mark is up on the cam, the distributor should be pointed at #4 cylinder. If both marks are pointing at each other, your at #1 cylinder TDC at the compression stroke. Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The impression I got from the Haynes manual is that you should set the engine
to #1 tdc as to the valve adjustment which is distributer to #1 cylinder with the timing mark to 0degrees which I did. The crank keyway is up as the book says
but the cam timing hole is down instead of up. (as they say it should be (up))
The trick here is that the #4 cylinder is also TDC when the #1 is. same with
2+3. So it should run, Though not well. I am stopping by a mechanics garage
today to look it up in his online docs.

Glenn
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you install the timing belt the way the book shows--marks up on both--you are not at #1TDC on the compression stroke. Read the Suzuki manual carefully. It will actually run this way, because the bottom end doesn't know any better--it turns two times for every turn of the cam. Most domestic timing marks are installed with the marks next to each other. If you take it to a local garage, they may install the timing belt that way.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your cam timing could be off 2 cogs, teeth which equal 20 degrees
which would cause some of the running problems. Any body should
see that much but might miss 10 degrees or one tooth out. That plus
Ignition timing problems such as no spark advance would also cause
your problems. To help see cam timing line up use a straight edge or
a string with a weight.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem on my 86. Do you have larger than stock tires? If you have larger tires the Secondary in the carb will not open.
You can check this by using a Vacuum Gauge and a long piece of tubing that will reach into the Cab. Connect the hose to FULL Vacuum. As you drive down the road you will see the Vacuum change. More than likely in 5th gear you will have NO vacuum.
The result is no power, the motor is pumping all it can at this time. There is such a loss of vacuum due to the larger tires they simply will not work.
I use a Weber Carb with Mechanical Secondary. It will Open. As far as the timing problem goes the Haynes Maunal is a little confusing.
I used the old Shade Tree way. Set the Crank at TDC rotated the cam so #1 valves were closed and set the distrubitor to #1
I then had a severe lack of Power. I have a heavy modified motor and use it everyday. I tried several different sizes of tires from stock to 31's and the power was exactly the same. Confusing huh! I raised and lowered the cam timing. It ran best where I had originally set it.
Some people say do what I did except point the Rotor to the Distrubitor Hold Down Bolt. Well mine is off a bit. I can't get it to run where they say set it. I even tried another Distrubitor. One tip I would like to pass on to you is to use the Timing marks on the Flywheel instead of
the Cheesy pulley on the Front of the crank. I hope you find a cure for this. I would like to know what it is.
I have posted many many times about this and everyone says it's the larger tires. But, I don't think it will run 180 out. If it will maybe that's what's wrong with mine.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have stock tires ( 205-75-15's)70 is stock. I am in a strick emmisions state (Massachucetts) so a weber or pony is out of the question.
According to a mechanic friend he would go by the timing marks which are supposed to be both up At TDC #1 cyl and the distributor
@ # 1 position. Trying to get a difintive ansewer on this is like pulling teeth. I just want to get it right the first time so I don't have to
yank it and swap it over. I am going to order the Suzuki shop manual from Petroworks this week and will ask them.
So many other Dumb ass things where done to the rig by the last owner or two , Oh well .

Glenn
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hawaiian flogger-
what you are saying is the distributor should be pointing to the drivers side toward #4 (back of the engine ) correct? It is pointing towards
the passenger side when the marks are both up. (Firing # 4 cyl) Hence my thought that the cam timing is off 180 Degrees And the distributor
is correct. (Once I rotate the cam the distributor will line up correctly.)

Glenn
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With both timing marks up, the distributor should be pointing at the #4 wire. Passenger side. Marks pointing at each other, the distributor should be pointing at #1 wire.

I hope I didn't totally confuse ya. But it should be easy to figure out. Drink a Corona first. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode