How do the Sammy's run in water? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

How do the Sammy\'s run in water?

I do alot of 4 wheeling alone (me and the sons) We got in some mud and water today and I was a little
apprehensive because i was afraid it would drown out. I have had jeeps (they drown easy) Chevy Blazer
(pratically a submarine) and a scout (fair). I am not interested (I dont think) in doing the snorkel thing, but
was just wondering how a stock Sammy does around water. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 01:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How do the Sammy\'s run in water?

I used to have a 87 sammy sitting on 35's with a 3 inch body lift. Blasted through the river on many occasions. Best way to clean the undercarage here. Never had any problem with even attempting to drown out. My dodge on the other hand will not even start if it rains hard.

Later!
Billy Bob

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snorkels ain't cheap, but they're cheaper than a new engine. I blew an engine years ago running through a deep creek and subsequently did one of the very first 1.6 swaps.... so it turned out okay in the long run I guess.

However, with the snorkel on, I've driven through some pretty deep stuff (at least rib deep and I'm about 6' tall) no trouble. I've been through some nasty swampy junk too. With the snorkel, the vehicle is invincible.

Your single most vulnerable-to-water thing on the Zuk is the intake. Its much better positioned against water infiltration than Jeeps or other vehicles being that its behind the battery. The ignition does pretty well when its submerged. I duct taped my gas tank filler spout just in case for really deep. Have fun! But be aware of the achilles heel which (on any vehicle) is the intake.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It really depends how deep the water is you are talking about. With a zuk you can pretty much expect water getting inside the cab if the water gets above the rockers, but since the zuk has a minimum amount of carpet in it, nothing will really get damaged as long as the water stays below the dash. I recomend going through water without any doors on, much more fun, especially in freezing cold water. :P
you won't need a snorkel if the water isn't above your tires, probably won't need it till water reaches the top of the fender flare.
However, you should disconnect your fan if you have a belt driven fan and make sure you turn off the fan if you have an electric fan with manual override switch. and when you get outta the water hook the belt back up or switch the fan back on.
One other note, although the ARB snorkels are quite expensive, you can custom make a snorkel from PCV pipe for pretty cheap, probably less than $50. You can just have it come out the side and higher than the hood, or have it come out the side and all th way to the top of the windshield.
Good Luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When running or parking in water your sami should have vent hoses from all gear boxes to above water level. . This includes
differentials, transmission, and transfer case. Stock Jeep wranglers have these. Have never seen one on a steering gear box
because they don't heat up but have seen a vent hose on a power steering reservoir (raider) that was mounted low.

The computer for a sami is mounted fairly low and should be installed in a plastic box to water proof. Mount your radios on
the roll bar or remove. Distributor should be water proofed. The O2 senser has a vent that will plug with mud.

After running or parking in water you should check all gear boxes for water intrusion including the steering knuckels.

Water above the differential is all it takes to start having problems with water intrusion.

For deep water besides a snorkel you should run exhaust up high. I think some vacume system should be changed from stock.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 07:41 PM
SRN

Well! Let me tell you a little story. Some years back at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab my Dad and I took the Kane Creek Canyon trail. Now this was a year of HIGH runoff. The the creek was quite high. The Sami was all stock at the time. We where following a big lifted Blazer and as we crossed the deepest part of the trail the water came up over the hood and up to the windows. Kept running and made it up the other side. The guys in the Blazer got on the CB and said, "That little Suzukis like a U-Boat!"
Now this was before we replaced the stock carb with the Weber, and we've yet to get the Weber in that much of water. So Im not sure how godd it would fair. But the Stock carb works great!

<font color=blue>SRN
<font color=purple>'86 Samurai</font>
Its a Samurai thing. Dont ask!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 12:43 PM

I've built a snorkel for my Jeep 4.2L out of 2.5" PVC and flexible air intake hose (also 2.5") It doesn't take a whole lot of work, looks great, and puts a K&N above the windshield. The only problem I have with water intrusion had to deal with leaking oil seals- which are now fixed. Going undwater is a great way to clean the mud off. As for the stock Jeep distributor- it can be made submersible with silicone very easily. I performed a GM HEI distributor swap and hadn't yet sealed it when I was force to go into a river to pull out a stuck Toyota (4" suspension lift and 33" MTs.) The HEI didn't even stutter, and my Jeep has a stock suspension and 31" MTs. Water level was waist deep where I stopped to hook up to the Toy and Chest deep where the Toy sat with its bed underwater....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode