Body Lift How hard is it? Home made? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Body Lift How hard is it? Home made?

Thinking about doing a body lift (home made) I will probably go about 2 inches. have any of you done this
how much trouble is it. Not to interested it getting my center of gravity to high (about rolled it today) So I
figured I would raise the body a couple of inches instead of the whole truck with a suspension lift.
Tell me some of your expereinces. Are there any how to instructions on the net? Seems like I read an
article about a guy who did this inexpensively. Will I run into any linkage or steering problems?
P.S. I love this website Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body Lift How hard is it? Home made?

I'm running 2" box about 1/8" thick,with a spoa on 35" super swampers tires.Its very easy,using all the stock hardware.drilling a hole in the center everything bolts right up you will need some extra bolts of a certain length,I cant remember off hand how long but i put the stock bushing set up on top of the box tubeing giving body lift about 4" total height.I thrash my sammi I've ramped it quite a few times with all 4 off the ground and have'nt had any problems with the body lift.Main point if you ever clean or need to work on a sammi with a body lift it makes a world of difference,after having it both ways its so much easier with than without.Certain adjustments must be made to allow it though such as extended hoses for the heater,gas line and cutting your floor panel for the trans. and t-case levers.My sammy handles better than my cherokee on the road.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Did you have to do anything to the steering column If so how much trouble was that. Thanks for your
input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wrote an article on this off-road.com page. Go to the Samurai section and then to tips and trick I believe. I did it years ago when ORC was first getting their Zuk pages fired up and were needing material, but I'm pretty sure its still there.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nothing changed on the steering column.extended fuel line at tank,heater hoses on the firewall,notched out floor pan at the back of the shift lever openings.but remember my lift is 4",that might be more than you want.A 2" body lift you might not have to extend your hoses.almost forgot where your brake lines meet and bolt up on the pass. side you'll have to disconnect the 2 bolts.I as just reading the 2" body lift that glen had written,I've been measuring the total height of my lift in relation of the frame to the body which is 4" but I used 2" box with the stock bushings on top.so tech.i have a 2" body lift with spoa and 1 1/2" extended shackles handels great on/off road.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 02:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

FWIW, Glenn will soon (hopefully) be carrying a 2 inch kit I'm building, no threading, all bolt on, takes about an 1 1/2 to install. All I'm waiting for is the actual lift material...

Sky.
85 ext cab, camo, flatbed, external cage, locked, swampers, air, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SkyToy I am pretty sure I am gonna build my own. Are there any snags you think I might run
in too. Is it true that I wont have to do anything to my steering column? you can email me at
[email protected] if you dont want to devulge all your secrets. Thanks Mark

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a homemade 3" lift on my '88. As for the steering column I had to heat is with a torch a little to melt the plastic plugs that hold the two pieces together. After a little heat the plastic oozes out of 2 holes and the column pieces slide apart to the proper length. The gas filler hose had to be cut and I used a piece of exhaust tubing to splice it back together. Has another piece of exhaust tubing made to fill the 3" gap between the top of the carb and inlet of the air cleaner housing. This turned out to be a 3" od x 2 3/4" x 3" long reducer type of piece. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 02:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how is your lift going. i was going to do one soon, but all the body mounts have welded studs. i really dont feel like cutting them out, so i havent started yet. i read in the tips and tricks that the top hole of the block must be big enough to fit the 5/16 bolt head. do you bolt the lift block to the the frame using a small bolt then bolt the body to the lift block using a washer to hold in place or what. i installed a homemade lift on my old scout 2, but the body mount bolts could be removed and replaced with longer ones. this zuk is a pain. can anyone explain it to me?
thanks
sc

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dont cut the stock bolts!if you use 2" box tubeing,you'll drill a hole directly in the center a 3" long piece is good.once the hole is drilled reuse the stock bolts.with the stock bolts and the body bushings the bolt will extended inside the box tube approx 3/4-1" use another bolt to secure the frame to the bottom of the tubeing.It might sound a little hairy,but i've never had any problems with mine and its been tested.the only thing else is to find some of those pre-fab 3" lift spacers for the extreme front and rear mounts.dont have to though just looks a little better than box tubeing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode