mufflers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

mufflers

i have a 2 inch exhaust no cat no muffler, sounds mean as hell, but after 2 years im getting tired of the noise, i have a section where the cat use to be, the exhaust guys
made it where i could pull it off after i left there shop
and put on a pre cut piece of exhaust tube in its place.
does anyone know of a straight thru muffler about the same
length as a stock sammi catalitic converter, or maybe a baffle that can be installed in the removable section?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 09:37 AM
97TRAKIN

Re: mufflers

You could use a flow master (cherry bomb) or resonator tips (mini glass packs).
Does your exhaust sound like this [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img].lol
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 12:15 PM

Hi Patrick, I just collected old mufflers (sept here we call them silencers) from the junk yard, central resorvation, side of road etc,, any were for free.

Did quick lash up with each box using wire hangers and duct tape untill got the sound right, then quick mig up and heypresto.

Did you know you can fine tune the sound a bit by rodding the box with a big bar??

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Veteran

a small glasspack should work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:53 PM
SilverZuk

I went to napa and got one with a warranty for about $25.

It's not a straight through, it's like a "turbo" design.

I just told the guy 2-inch in and out about 18-inches long and flat shape.

I mounted it on the straight section just ahead of my rear spring hanger. Mine doen't have a cat either.

It's high and tight, protected, and fairly quiet.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 05:05 PM

I put a straight-thru cherry bomb muffler on mine and I'm really happy with the sound
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 05:26 PM
flatbroke

I like to be different,and went to the muffler shop.For $175.00,had a new resonator,pipe,and muffler installed.mine is a 1983 so no cat to begin with, and it is nice and quiet.
ahhhhh quiet i like that........try your local muffler shops,or custom shops,someone with knowledge will be able to pop on on there for a resonable price [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

i had thought about going with a cherry bomb, but is it quieter than running straight 2 in exhaust? if so how much quieter?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

FYI-
For those that think running a totally open exhaust is cool , consider this : For one, you raise your exhaust temps at the head a lot , and burning valves becomes real easy since the higher temps . Two, you absolutely kill the torque of the engine since it has basically nothing to load it's cfm against . For example , take the outlet line off of an air compressor , and let it run for a few minutes , it not only can't build any air , it also will run twice as hot . The same compressor will run a lot hotter when the tank pressure is very low as compared with pushing against a higher load . Engines operate in the same manner , they need to have an exhaust load to operate efficiently and to produce power . Open headers , ect , are meant for full-throttle bursts at very high rpm's , never for long sustained periods . Also, length is very important as well as pipe diameter . For max power out of something as small as Samurai or Tracker engines , that pipe should never be over 2" in diameter , and at least as long as the length of the truck . Mathematically, a 2" pipe with an effective 3 chamber muffler should be 8.5' long , although you'd have to make a loop on a Sammi to make this work . That's the formula for the 1.3 , 1.6 engines are even longer . Also, a standard cat can take place of one muffler chamber , so an open designed 2 or 3 chamber unit would be about right . The best balance is one of the "turbo" style muffers , that effectively "open up" with rpm and air flow . Hope this helps,
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 PM
SilverZuk

Back pressure generally effects throttle response and torque.

The stock exhaust has serious deficiencies that are easily corrected by a 2-inch full exhaust. Shortening the exhaust further or decreasing your back pressure makes your throttle response quicker, but generally hurts torque.
Those of you with a header, uncap it sometime and prove it to yourself.
Or if your replacing your exhaust, fire it up and ride around for about a minute, you’ll notice the quick throttle and lack of torque the first time you take off.

The flow and backpressure have to have some balance with the application your using, and motor modifications that you have made.

I like an exhaust to be as quite and powerful as it can be. Loud is not cool in my book, gives everyone a headache and makes them have to yell just to talk. Even if you like it, think of the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode