info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

info

I am having trouble keeping my beads on and am not going to put beadlocks on. But at www.performanceunlimited.com they have a interesting procedure of putting on both sides of the wheel 32 or 64 screws threw the wheel into the tire to secure it. I was wondering if anyone would take a look and tell me what you think. It can be found at the above site under the services & sales under rim screwing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Snowman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: info

Hey Snowy,
This is an old trick borrowed from drag racing. If you get superior traction (from a 'slick) many times you will spin the tire on it's bead around the wheel. A cheap fix is to drill the perimeter of your rim & use sheetmetal screws thu it into the tire to hold it in place. I've done it & it works fine, but when I drove my car on the street, the screws would eventually wallow & try to tear the tire bead.
No imagine this scenario on an off-road vehicle where the wheels encounter a LOT more stress/flex than on the street. I believe the screws might help hold the bead on, but at the cost of eventually ruining the tire.
I would recommend using a narrow steel rim (if you aren't already) and I've heard that the bead can be glued to the rim w/ contact adhesive to help more if everything is very clean. Personally, I've run 32x11.50.15 TSL/SX's on 8" steel wheels with approx. 5 psi & haven't lost a bead. If you have soft, pliable tires, they will unseat easier, too-- the Super Swampers are pretty stiff.
Tim J

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like your wheel are way too wide. Might want to consider thinner wheels as the 'correct' fix.

I have seem the tires screwed to the wheel before. It looked weird and maybe not the best thing to do. I certainly wouldn't do it in aluminum wheels as you'd be asking for them to fracture and break.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 12:54 PM
SRN

You might want to make sure that you have the right width of tire for your rim or vise versa.

<font color=blue>SRN
<font color=purple>'86 Samurai</font>
Its a Samurai thing. Dont ask!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 02:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tires I have are 31x15.50 Goodyear Terra tires mounted on 15x12" wheels I had a set of 10's for them but they popped of even easier. At Rocky-road outfitters they sell the same exact tires but different tread and they recamend
15x14 but 15x12's will work. I am only going to be using these for about two weeks out of the year.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking about doing the same thing, I used to drag race, and could run my slicks with tubes, on a 3200# car , and aluminum rims with no problem. I used to run them on my street car as well. I just have never seen it done on a 4x. I can't really afford bead locks. Does anybody know of any other bead locks besides Champion (any cheaper)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode