Problem of rust on driveshaft tunnel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem of rust on driveshaft tunnel

Anyone got the problem of rust on the driveshaft tunnel of your Sami? I've got a '94 and recently removed the carpets to find a nifty rust hole on the tunnel right in front of the e-brake. It's pretty big, large enuff to drop a beer can thru. Now, since I don't drink and drive (anymore), I figured I have no good reason to keep it. Besides, anymore corrosion and I'll be using a stone for an e-brake.

Now seriously, I'm not the only one to own a Sami in the Rust Belt. I'm hoping that someone has experience with my problem and may impart some wisdom to me. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I start cutting and welding.

Thanks,

Timmy Time

May the four wheels roll you safely home (\);=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Problem of rust on driveshaft tunnel

Just to clarify, this isn't surface rust. It's rot. It goes cleat thru the sheet metal. Actually, there appears to be two layers of sheetmetal on the tunnel and the rust has spread between the layers.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP, ANYONE!

Timmy Time

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've never heard of anyone having this problem before. It shouldn't be a huge problem to fix. Only rust probs I've had were the rear wheelwell seams and the passengar front wheel well seam. Seems odd that a 94 would have such a serious rust problem. I guess you should just grind out all the metal that is rusted and weld in a new patch.
Also you mentioned two layers, the top layer is actually the sound deading matrial that Suzuzki puts in various places throughout the sammy. Chisel that stuff away where ever you weld. Also put some good rust protectant on like por-15
Good luck

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, what first got me to look was a comment at www.suzican.com (currently MIA) that said they were developing a repair kit for this "common" problem. At first, I didn't think it would apply to my '94 being so new. But when I ripped the rugs out and checked, there it was. Funny thing, when I went back to the suzican.com website, it was gone and was replaced by Root Moose Group. Dumb luck, eh. If you live in New York or any other state that use pure road salt, a '94 anything with rust/rot is not odd.

I've alread removed the sound deading material. From the inside, you don't see the two layers. If you crawl under the rig, you can see the extra layer. See, the layer underneath has a factory knock-out (a round hole about the size of a silver dollar). This spot on the tunnel was never undercoated from the factory. It was this hole that allowed road salts to get between the two layer of metal and, well, the rest is history.

Again, if anyone has encountered this problem, please let me know.

Peace,

Timmy Time

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well being in North Carolina my Zuk is not Familiar with snow or road salt. The underside of my zuk is covered in clay so I couldn't see any uncoated spots on the inside of the tranny tunnel.
I myself was wondering what happened to the SuziCan site. I can't imagine any probs with just patching it up by welding in a peice of sheet metal and covering it up with some rust protectant.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got my solution. Found a clean California sami at the local Fire Department (they used the Jaws of Life on it for practice). Got it for a $100 donation. Its tunnel will be transplated into mine, I hope!

Timmy Time

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hold the press. I was told over the phone that is was a California truck. Based on the amount of rust (and the dealership sticker), its a N'Yorker rust bucket. Still got lotsa parts.

And get this, the driveshaft tunnel is rusted in the same place only worse. The e-brake handle is ready to rip out. I'm going to take a few pics and post 'em so everyone sees what I mean

Timmy Time

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that's a bummer, still a pretty dang good deal though.
You wouldn't happen to be willing to sell an intake manifold off of it would ya?

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why yes I do. I'll bring it to the shop and recondition it. Cleaned and resurfaced (if needed). Make an offer. Where are you? As I would need to check the shipping cost.

Timmy Time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode