Shackle Idea's Good or Bad ? ? ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Shackle Idea\'s Good or Bad ? ? ?

More Idea's (scary huh ) I put my larger tires on today and I already know I want more lift. I AM NOT ready
to go SPOA yet... I am looking at longer shackles but I have some other ideas to go with the shackles. What do
you guys think about running a swivel brace from the inside shackle to the old sway bar mount for stablity? Will
it bind my springs and hurt articulation? (sammy is used almost exclusively off road) ALSO what do you think
or have any of you tried this : Where the rear of the spring mounts (the solid mount) what about making a short
shackle that will lift it around an inch (stationary, by using two bolts in it and welding it) Wont this help with
my caster angles also? (by lifting the front and rear of the spring) Let me know if any of you have tried it. I am not
really interested in the shackle reversal kit yet. Thanks for your input guys BIG HELP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shackle Idea\'s Good or Bad ? ? ?

I"m not sure I get what you're talking about, but.... tieing the shackles into the sway bar would not be a good idea. Notice that each end of the shackle has rubber bushings. This is because it needs to move freely forward and back as well as a little bit side to side for proper riding characteristics. I'd really avoid connecting the shackles to anything other than the shackle hanger that it is supposed to be connected to.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glen I was talking about making a small swivel bracket that would run from the inner shackle
to the pivot point where the sway bar used to be (I took old sway off and pitched it) What do you think
about raising the solid spring mount some to gain additional lift ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 12:38 AM
Old Hand

Oh ya, some of your Ideas are a little scary, at least!

I understand what you are talking about (even that I understand it scares me)You are talking about the rear of the front leaf springs, and the front of the rear leaf spring. You want to lower that mount, and use longer shackels on the other end of each.

Why not just go SPOA? Take it from people that have been there and done that, and save yourself a lot of trouble and Money.

DaveAZ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Raising (or actually lowering)the spring hangar has been done. http://www.northcoast.com/~zukiman/
If you look at this site, there is a write up of the spring hangar lift. Gave him 2 inches of lift, enough for 30's. It's pretty cheap, but your approach angles won't be too great. It's fine if you are short on money, but if you can affoard it I would go with a SPOA.

Mike Schramm
88 Sammy in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode