Newest Member's new Zuki - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Newest Member\'s new Zuki

<font color="green"> </font color>First of all I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has posted all the great information on this site! I have been all over the web and this is by far the best site for Zuki info.

My first Zuk was a graduation present from my parents as a college car. I loved it but never got to pursue it's true off road nature because it was my daily driver and could not afford to fix what I broke off-road. (Daddy didn't like scratches on his gift either) After college I sold it to get a nicer "professional" car. Biggest mistake I ever made! Since then I have always dreamed of owning a true off-road fun buggy

Well I'm all grow up now and finally have the time and little bit of money to sink into a new toy. My New Zuki.

1,800 later = Green 87 Samuari 1.3 bone stock but very well maintianed 89K miles.

After reading all the great posts on this site I decided beef things up a little ... Enter: HULKZUKI with only a 2" shackel lift and cutting down the stock bumper I am able to run 30" Pro Comp Mud Terrains. Could have probably fit 31's but I want to leave plenty of room for travel.

By the way does anyone know how to get more travel out of the stock springs without going SPOA? I want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. The stock shocks will limit things and I don't mind replacing them the true limiter is the springs.

Anyway I have attached a picture of the remnants of our first outing. Hope to see you on the trail some day. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1057651-Zuki pick 5.jpg (84.5 KB, 180 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Newest Member\'s new Zuki

Pleasure to meet you Chris. Looks like your having fun with it [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

T
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 08:03 PM

I'm starting to like the looks of a mildly lifted Zuk with aggressive tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 10:32 PM
HankS

Another Texas Zuk.!! Hell yea!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:08 AM

Go with YJ springs in a spring under. Mark on this board had this set up a few years ago and flexed out nice on the Rubicon. You won't get much from a stock spring pack, the springs fatiuge over a short amount of time and flatten out. I wasted two sets of stock springs before I went YJ.
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] welcome to the board [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:15 AM

here is a pic of Mark's ride SPUA with stock YJs...(hope you don't mind Mark)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:19 AM

here is another
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I am looking for. Nice flex but not a monster (yet). I used the search feature and read for over two hours and YJ seem to be the best SPUA option with out going sky high.

The only thing I did not find was where to get YJ springs? Is there a kit sold by someone or junkyard my best bet?

Thanks again for all the help. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 12:02 PM

Check out the Jeep BBS's. Usually when guys lift their YJ's they replace all the spring packs and wind up with the stock springs taking up space in the garage. If you are lucky you can pick them up for about 50 bucks or so.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 01:09 PM
SilverZuk

There is nothing you can do to help the stock springs.
Looks like your front's are long over due to be replaced.

A common swap is cj rears and stock rears up front.
YJ springs seem to be the preferred without going custom coils.

Spring over has it's disadvantages, but the cost and effectiveness is hard to discount.
And the disadvantages can be corrected with a traction bar or good set of springs, and a high steer.

In my book SPOA is far more effective than a shackle lift and about the same $$$.

Shackle lifts have there disadvantages too, more lateral movement in the suspension. Which causes accelerated bushing wear and poor road manners. I have watched guys crank there steering wheels as there shackles "flopped" from one direction to the other. That's scary to have that much lateral movement. Plus the clearance problems from the "fangs" up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode